Security software that has lifetime licenses

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jo3blac1, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Vipre. Panda cloud Did have before?

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

To me it is a rather obvious marketing plot, to take advantage of the misunderstanding of the term, in order to convince users that "here is the deal of the century! I buy a license and i am good forever!".

Consider how many Wilders users have been fooled over the time by the word "PC lifetime" thinking that it was YOUR lifetime... I myself have posted this same info about the difference at least 3 times before this and i predict i will have to do it again and again.

And if your wording is clever enough to fool Wilders members, imagine how easily the average Joe can believe that the license is really lifetime. Then one day he decides to upgrade his computer and oh, sadly, Vipre doesn't activate anymore! :rolleyes:

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Fuzzfas...GFI...are unfortunately involved in Teflon Marketing...and using phrasing to generally confuse the average user...we both know that it's for the LIFE OF THE COMPUTER...NOT THE USERS LIFETIME. If anyone is interested in how to distinguish Fact from Fiction...just check out The Herbert Tarlik...Manual of Ingenious Sales and Marketing Technique's...Volume 1...just kidding LOL...Herb Turkey's can't Fly. As an informed consumer if you don't understand...call the Vendor Sales and Support line for clarification...I've found the vast majority of Vendors are there to Help. And your fellow Wilders members...will also lend their support and encouragement. Sincerely...Securon

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yup. That's why I am committing all those companies that give so called "PC Lifetime" licenses. I already removed Vipre. I remember somewhere BitDefender had similar deal where they offered Lifetime license that doesn't exceed 5 years of "typical" lifespan of a laptop.

5. Fuzzfas

Yes, to be fair, the "PC lifetime" idea was first adopted by Sunbelt and after GFI took over they thought to continue with this strategy. Which is fine for me, since i am aware, but as you 've seen, initially, in this thread, Vipre was included in the list of lifetime licenses.

For me using the term "lifetime", is an abuse not just of the more widespread practice, where lifetime intends yours (or the software's), but also because in their attempt to play with words, it appears as if the machine was alive and and at some point it "dies", which even metaforically isn't still correct, since even a motherboard change, in this type of license, equals "death". A more honest description, would be "for the duration of your initial motherboard".

Anyway... Most people won't even come to Wilders before buying. "Lifetime" will catch their eye and probably think it's their lifetime for as long as they use PC.

Oh well...

Yeah, it's a play of words and trying to exploit the fact that "traditionally" a lifetime license was for the life of the buyer or of the product. For me, i think Vipre was the first case i saw of "PC lifetime" and at first i thought it was "traditional lifetime", i couldn't imagine it was tied to the life of the motherboard, because i had never heard of such a license before...

6. jo3blac1

Well, I sent one of their partners an email inquiring about lifetime license. We will see what they have to say. If I can mange to snag one then I will be more than happy to add DF to this list.

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Different models for "Lifetime licenses":

[1] All Version Lifetime
    - Free upgrades for all future versions
    (regardless of minor/major version changes and date of purchase)

[2] Current Version Lifetime
    - Free updates for minor version changes
    - Upgrades to major version changes require fee

[3] Last Applicable Version Lifetime
    - Similar to Current Version lifetime BUT if a major version change is released
    within the 'free updates period since purchase', you are entitled to the upgrade
    - Once period ends, updates/upgrades require fee

[4] "PC Lifetime" or Hardware-dependent
    - License tied to motherboard or other system components
    - Non-transferable
    - Some vendors allows a '1-time only re-install' or assistance in the event of major system changes

The first 4 of the above has been mentioned and discussed. Now, since "lifetime" is the focus here, I'd like to highlight the aspect of activation process.

Activation process for "Lifetime licenses":

[5] Online activation
    - License needs to be activated online and usually tied to hardware
    - Some vendors may however provide ways to activate offline (but still ties the license to the hardware).

[6] Offline activation
    - License can be activated offline and usually not tied to hardware

Online activation usually means the customers have to depend on the developer's activation system/servers to be up and running. Not to mention, some also does periodic checks.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the developer/vendor decides to stop doing business (as has been seen a couple of times here) or simply goes MIA.
    If the developer/vendor do not provide customers with an alternative activation solution (in advance), the 'lifetime license' might no longer work.

In the case of a one-man show (whom usually provides great programs btw), the possibility of health issues and even unexpected death can mean a lot. Of course, I'd rather be sorry for the man's health or his family's loss than a license...

Now, if one wants to purchase a 'lifetime license' hoping to use the program perpetually (without activation problems), then I think it'd be best to fit these criteria:

* Preferably model [1] All Version Lifetime (although [2] and [3] are still fine)
    * Not [4] Hardware-dependent License
    * Uses [6] Offline activation

From the list of software that has been identified so far, SD and WinPatrol seems to fit the bill (pun intended). I'm not sure about the rest...

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

9. jo3blac1

Most of the software on my list fits this bill.

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I take it deep freeze with lifetime it doesn't expire but you still need to pay for program updates rights?

11. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Yes,its the same as lifetime license #3 quoted by safeguy.

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I think DefenseWall should be on there, you just don't get updates or support after a year, but you can still use it.

13. jo3blac1

It's up there now :)

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

GesWallPro

15. jo3blac1

Is it lifetime license with free updates?

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Not really. What I meant was some requires online activation and are hardware-dependent.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

not sure to be honesto_O

18. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Faronics and lifetime updates and/or upgrades doesn't exist (just contacted the distributor).

Faronics has maintenance contracts..
    You pay for the license AND separately for updates and upgrades for a year !

I stopped using Faronics, because i kept paying each year
    (and often even earlier, when i bought without maintenance contract !!).

As a matter of fact Faronics products are the only software products i have ever used,
    where i had to pay for an upgrade within a year after paying for the product.

And it is very expensive compared with similar products. :)
    The idea that you can use these after a year without needing a new release just doesn't work (for me).
    Like now they have this new feature: Windows updates with the latest release of Deepfreeze.
    Who wants to use the old version now ?
    So if you had purchased a new license a few months ago without a maintenance contract, and you are using their product(s),
    You feel forced, to upgrade don't you ?
    Because you do want to have the best version, of the product to protect your pc.

A good example of products with REAL lifetime license are ...
    Near my personal opinion a Real Lifetime license is a license with Your (human,customer) Lifetime free updates AND upgrades as long as the product is on the market:

GREATIS: http://www.greatis.com/ Unhackme , RegRun etc... i have licenses for many many years and still get every new update ! (is real lifetime)

Malwarebytes Lifetime (is real lifetime)

SuperAntiSpyWare LifeTime (is real lifetime)

Of course if the company stops, the product is gone too.
    There are MANY examples of those ..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about Anti-Executable Standard?how is its licence?

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You could have simply asked for a new serial number; the same as when transferring the license to a new computer. I have done this several times in the past.

Worth giving support a try; http://www.looknstop.com/En/support2.htm

21. jo3blac1

Licenses that are know are not hardware dependent:
    1. AppGuard
    2. MBAM
    3. Outpost
    4. SD
    5. No Virus Thanks Executible Radar Pro
    6. WinPatrol
    7. SpyShelter
    8. Sandboxie
    As for online activation. How is that a problem? You activate once and the software is working just fine.

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about Anti-Executable Standard?

23. Fuzzfas

The problem arises, if the developer goes AWOL.To cite a few examples that just come immediately to my mind, Process Guard, System Safety Monitor, Ghost Security, Prosecurity (?), at some point shut down and disappeared. Luckily for their users, they had offline activation and so the users kept using them. If it was online, they would be left holding a useless license.

24. jo3blac1

I see your point guys... However this would happen more often for one man team or very small companies. Large corporations are much less likely to go AWOL and therefore online activation is not as relevant. For example Outpost is a company that has been around since 1999. Blueridge has been around for at least 15 years. MBAM had its product out since 2008. I doubt these companies are gonna go bankrupt or AWOL any time soon.

25. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is 1 year, not lifetime license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.