Security Software Opinion

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Khaine, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I'm going to be getting a laptop in the near future and I have been toying with what security programs to buy. I've been thinking about this very carefully and this is the list I have come up with :

Anti-Virus : KAV
    Anti-Trojan : TDS and TH and A²
    Anti-Worm : Wormguard
    Anti-Spyware : Adaware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, SpwareGuard, Spyware, JAP and Proxomitron
    BlockList, IESpyAds, HP' HOSTS File
    Sandbox : SSM or Tiny Personal Firewall Sanbox Component (Maybe Both ?)
    Misc Security Tools : Port Explorer, Active Ports, Eraser, ScriptSentry
    Encryption : PGP 6.5.8ckt and Safeboot Solo (or something similar)

Now for a firewall I'm leaning towards Look 'n' Stop as the new versions of Kerio seem to be going in the wrong direction for my liking.

I know that these security products seem like overkill, but for my needs I feel they will be adequate. Please tell me your opionins ideas, and any areas which I may still be vulnerable to attack.

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Khaine

Outpost Firewall Pro 2.0 definitely. It is the most flexible and it can do more than any other firewall and it is very secure.

NOD32 Anti-Virus definitely. It has caught every in-the-wild virus presented to it and it is the first to receive Checkmark Antivirus Certification Levels 1, 2 And Trojan For Windows 2003 certified by SC Magazine’s West Coast Labs.

Best wishes

3. JayK

JayK Poster

A see a lot of areas for improvement, really... But it will suffice for a start.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I would improve by first analyzing the risks that you see and fear. In my opinion a firewall and an anti virus tool are usefull, but I really doubt the need for anything else.
    This raises some questions.
    A risk is a risk if a threat is real. If you can diminish the number of threats, there are less risks and so there's less need for security measures.
    And if you have to take measures, don't overdo. The more you use, the more you'll have to manage.

Reducing threats: choose your software wisely (there are safer applications, with less vulnerabilities, than the standard tools), use them wisely (manage your curiosity, it is said to kill cats).

As for your tool selection, I do agree with QSection. The threat of invading your ports will be handled by a firewall (I love Outpost). The risk of virusses (depends on your curiosity and willingness to share files with untrusted parties) will be handled by anti-virus) NOD's nice, but so are others.
    Using a laptop there is the inherent risk of theft (of data), that you tackle adequately by using Safeboot. Physically protecting your laptop also reduces risks a lot.

Other threats? I suppose that filesharing is the biggest threat of them all. If you don't and if you use legal software, where's the risk?
    Okay, get Cookiewall too, that's handy, small and free.

5. JayK

JayK Poster

Really, does this mean I cannot try this lastest new fangled leak test ? What's the fun of being protected by all the hotest stuff, if I never see them in action?

6. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

What area's do you see that need improving ?

7. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Considering that you plan to use KAV as your AV of choice, you can probably narrow down some of your AT choices, if you wish. Especially since TDS and TH are not free (not sure about a²). Any reason why you want to keep Active Ports if you plan to use Port Explorer as well?

Have you decided on a browser and email client?

Maybe also consider some software to backup your data in case your security fails or something happens to your laptop?

You may also want to search the web for some guides to harden Windows and make it more secure. Strong passwords, not using an account with admin priviliges, keeping Windows/Windows components up to date with latest SPs/patches, and not engaging in activities that can put you at greater risk are some basics that i feel should also be noted.

With all that said... try not to get carried away with your security products ;)

8. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I plan to not have an email client, I'll use webmail all the way, and for a browser either Firebird or IE (with the right settings) :)

I've looked at many guides for securing windows.

I haven't decided whether to replace my old version of Symantec ghost, with a newer version or different progeam (Disk Image looks pretty intresting)

9. JayK

JayK Poster

You sure that is wise?

10. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Well with the right settings for either IE or FireBird and the right filters in Proxomitron I see little problem with it.

I won't be using it to recieve attachments and I'll only be recieving mail from trusted contacts so, any potential risk is minimised

:)

11. JayK

JayK Poster

Well as long as you know what u are doing....

12. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Just some gerneral stuff: Ever thoughed about which Windows version to take for your new computer? I would recommend to go with Window 2000 instead of WinXP because Win2k is for the moment easier to "secure" than WinXP. Hopefully this will change with the long awaited XP Service Pack 2 but for the moment and if security counts than the first choice is still Windows 2000.

Secondly take care about what email program you are choosing. Instead of Outlook (Express) a more "secure" email client like TheBat! might be a good idea. Same goes for the Internet Explorer: Alternatives are Mozilla or Opera.

wizard

13. JayK

JayK Poster

Seconded.

He already expressed his intent to do webmail only.

14. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Sorry, I somehow overlooked it. ;)

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.