Security setup, what to remove if any?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nixie21, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I just installed Cyberhawk free...

I have Winpatrol, NOD32, TrojanHunter and Comodo FW running realtime
    Router FW, spyware blaster, firefox,mvps hosts file
    on demand = spyware terminator and AVG anti spyware

With Cyberhawk, what do you recommend me disable realtime? (if anythingo_O) and why?

Thanks so much!

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I think the first question you should ask yourself is why you need all of those apps running real-time / on-demand in the first place. If you surf the darkside do it on a limited account with a software restriction policy and be done with it. ;)

Too much real-time protection = sluggish system

To answer your question I don't care for Trojan Hunter's detection at all. Stick with NOD32 for virus/trojan detection.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This is not about the real time apps but why do you have Spyware Terminator if you are not running its realtime shield? Your set-up is fine without the realtime shield of ST. But ST scans are notorious for false positives. As my $.02 worth, I would replace ST with SuperAntiSpyware free for on-demand scans.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

This is not my endorsement for Spyware Terminator but most who use this program, like myself right now, do so NOT for the malware detections, because you'll hear plenty of feedback about FP's which the program can't escape from right now, but on a more positive note, the Resident-Guard plus HIPS feature i found completely safe and pretty efficient overall, in fact i run it alongside SSM and have no reservations for doing so as long as it proves to capture events BEFORE they can affect any change to my system which so far it does well enough IMO.

Now then, so far as SUPERAntiSpyware is concerned, no PC should be without it. You should discover this for yourself by giving it a try. It does above and beyond most in this line of AS products plus is very efficient at REMOVING malware/rootkits even.

The choice is yours alone but that's my opinion. Good Luck.

5. nixie21

I did not think I needed a 'realtime' anti spyware, do you guys think I should run one? ALSO, everyone things trojan hunter is not needed realtime? and cyberhawk is good to have running?

Thanks again, i will dl superas

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with the sentiments regarding ST as a scanner.
    Why not use SAS or A-Squared free scanner?

CyberHawk might be a replacement for WinPatrol.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

As Easter points out quite well, ST has a viable realtime shield. Actually I prefer the ST realtime shield over the realtime protection many paid programs provide. I am not sure if you really need the realtime shield or not. But that may depend on which firefox extensions you have installed. If you the noscript add-on and adblock plus (and maybe a few other extensions)
    you may not need the realtime shield
    of ST. But that's up to you to decide and maybe based on the resources of your computer. Personally I don't browse with FF. And when I ran ST's realtime shield I disabled the HIPS and replaced it with SSM. Cyberhawk may be good for you. It is relatively quiet. Almost eerily quiet with hardly ever any pop-up warnings.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd get rid of TrojanHunter, Winpatrol and Comodo FW. Yes with Cyberhawk I recommend disabling realtime. Replace Comodo FW with Sygate. And why because I consider those other apps overkill & or defective.

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I think Cybehawk is decent enough protection alne with Firefox and NoScript along with a decent Firewall and AV. I have however used Spyware Terminator with all its Guards and the HIPS enabled with CH for the sake of feeling more secure. zapjb, is Sygate FW as easy to set up and run as Comodo is though?

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@nixie - id drop winpatrol and trojanhunter; theyre just not needed. a good AV (NOD32) and FW (Comodo) will do sufficiently.

@duke - sygate is easier to setup than comodo.

11. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks WSFuser.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd say easier.

13. nixie21

I used sygate a long time ago until (i forget, were they bought out??) is it better than comodo? comodo gets great reviews, why switch to sygate?

Also,

Everyone thinks from what i listed in the original post

I disable trojan hunter and winpatrol, leave everything else and user superantispyware for on demand? and with SAS, if it is the free version and does not include real time, why have it on at 'start up'?

thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  14. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I guess sygate was suggested to you-along with the other programs you run-because it is just a plain firewall with no other things that might be heavy or be in the way of other programs.
    I have used Sygate a long time,it was (is) a marvellous firewall,but be careful not to run Avast antivirus or proxies with it.In this case you'd need extra configuration or inbound traffic control only.

You can always remove Superantyspyware entry at startup with run/msconfig/startup ,unflag the entry,reboot,give the ok. It wont harm the efficacy of the program at all if you use it OnDemand only.
    That's what i did.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no sygate is not better just simpler. id say keep comodo.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Sygate No. Sygate died with me on the buy out. Comodo Yes. IMHO. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.