Security setup - are we being overly paranoid?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Smiggy, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Cool :D :D You always find extraordinary things PROROOTECT, ever tried it? :D

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Lol I think he tried it and that thing made him part of a brain-controlled Botnet that spams that link everywhere:D :D :D

3. SystemJunkie

:D :D
    Lol why he didn´t make it for windows, probably the author thinks that windows is the ultimate brainwasher.
    There we got it:
    Amazing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The moment you start being aware of computer vulnerabilities, which means somebody might violate a certain cyber space that you see as belonging to you, things will never be the same on the internet. It's similar to personality changes that people undergo whenever they drive a car: The personal computer and the car become extensions of their own egos.

I used to really enjoy the internet when I wasn't aware of its potential dangers, I wasn't thinking about security as much as one doesn't think about security when you turn your TV on or making a phone call. If you are a Wilder's member with 30 + security applications or a minimalist like Longview (with the very basic hardware firewall and imaging program), you are still a member of a security forum which deals with internet vulnerabilities.

My level of paranoia on the internet somewhat changed as I'm no longer interested in avoiding a head on collision with malware and try to investigate what's what. If I suspect something is fishy, I just choose how to restore my system to a known secure state, and that's that. Call it a layered recovery strategy rather than layered defense. I'm still a paranoid.

5. SystemJunkie

Well expressed.
    According to this strong paranoid mindcontrol story there is no secure state. The system could be leaky by default.:D
    Remember the actual and future strategy is a encapsulation of your OS combined with a parasitic virus that acts as kind of global bot-chat-spy control system.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If a joke, cute. Otherwise utter and total nonsense.

7. SystemJunkie

Maybe, maybe not. This is a non verifiable sphere unfortunately humans have no sensor to check that. But probably it is already extreme paranoid.:D Subsystem as mindcontroller nice idea, I had never found this thought myself.

8. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hello everybody,
    Cheer , SystemJunkie , Emperordarius , Peter125 , Osaban and others : you have the sense of humor !!!

Yes , there is no security there are only different degrees of insecurity ? Yes ?..:blink:

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

So what ? even if someone else is looking in on this conversation why should any of us care ? Paperport loads in 4 seconds, Word works, Outlook collects my mail. The rest is a load of bull. If George Bush wants to see where I have been surfing today he is welcome. To be balanced and fair the same offer goes out to Osama binliner and all the other nutters in the world. Now if one of these madmen were to try and kill me then I might get just a little par-annoyed.

10. SystemJunkie

Very good statement Long View! A great attitude! You are right. Matchless example for serenity.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey i advice you to have a baseball bat behind the door just in case:D

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: The massive walls already collapse due to their own weight ! LOL :D

13. CraigM31

CraigM31 Registered Member

Before I found this forum I didn't realize how much of a "hobby" internet security could be! Very interesting! As for being paranoid I am still in that stage :D After a couple of BIG MISTAKES I have now realized that my biggest enemy is myself!:argh: o_O

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Are we being overly paranoid? Depends on who the "we" is.

Most if not all seasoned Wilder's members have finally settled in to enjoy the massive trasitions to not only compliment their AV/AS of choice combo, but some have even turned exclusively to those new innovations like Sandboxes, ISR's, Virtual Machines, HIPS, DW, etc. and now thanks to such a concerted & equally aggressive effort on the part of security developers, it's finally reaped the dividends in return customers/users have been expecting for their investments in comparison to what they used to rely on alone, minus plenty of side effects like critical bug issues.

I said all that to mention this, malware "had" been on a long mostly unabated roll for many years due to their consistent reversing of the intelligence in AV's which is always been, and still is, a basic protection strategy irregardless of whatever firewall they run.

IMO, the strongest DEFENSE is finally arrived in such overwhelming numbers at one time of multiple security schemes against intrusive & malicious malware referring again above to just some of what is hit the scene in the past couple years.

So in essence, the more choices available, and different approaches now available, eliminates plenty of the paranoia factor which is been a reality, and still is for those not informed or well enough equipped.

But the tools are here now, it's up to the user to find or discover their way to them like following a map to safety thru a storm of waiting obstacles.

EASTER

15. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

I'm paranoid in another way.
    I don't install tons of security softwares,
    but I am too obsessed in making the lightest security setup
    with least softwares.
    In other words, I'm in to being naked. :eek:

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I started frequenting Wilders a few years ago and immediately started to learn things about security. Over time I have discovered apps I didn't know existed or didn't know much about and tried them. My best discovery so far is FD-ISR. Need I say more? I remember back when I only knew about Norton and McAfee. Thank God for the boys at Wilders. My box is now lean and mean. :cool:

17. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I was a happy naive computer user who happened to stumble across Wilders when my Norton trial on my first computer ran out and I was looking for alternatives. Soon enough, I installed a FW with outbound protection and was shocked into reality. All these programs sending info back home. It was like that Rowdy Roddy Piper movie "They Live". Sampled almost every program that came along. Occasionally bsd'd but no infections whatsoever. Have since made the ultimate security move, installed linux. I have returned to my mundane existence.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Note that being naked is not equal to being without protection IMO.

19. boonie

boonie Registered Member

I went the common route here:
    Got infected, found Wilder's and Castle Cops
    After reading X number of posts started loading on apps
    Computer then had no malware, but Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Decided to focus on computing habits/avoiding malware/system knowledge
    Shed many apps, run 2 behind router
    Can no longer finish my eggs before computer boots
    If I ever get tempted, I look at my old receipts :eek:

20. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

I'm sure I know what you mean. ;)

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Interesting idea that you should expand upon.

22. Long View

Long View Registered Member

To me being naked means NOT running programs that slow me down. So no AV no hips etc. am I without protection ? No. (1) Hardware Firewall (2) FF Noscripts
    (3) mail collected by a company that checks mail and attachments before sending to me (4) check with secunia to see if correctly patched (5) Safe sender list in outlook...... (6) all drives secured by Shadow Protect if surfing to unknown places (7) Shadow Protect system images - just in case

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Nothing special,common sense,Long View prtetty much summed it up.For me to replace scanning resident stuff gradually with virtualisation/imaging is the way to go (already though).

24. PROROOTECT

APPENDIX FOR MY PSYCHOANALYSIS

YES , Ohmy , YES : I like to be naked , me too ! :argh:
    In fact it is about my Windows ANOREXIC ...
    But I am a fanatic of some softwares , sometimes it is very difficult to say goodbye has my binary childern ...

PS. Recently (!) I succeeded in to know , how cause a drop in the use memory of explorer.exe which assembles ... Now , after the restarting of PC , available memory of my Windows is be situated at the extraordinary level few 808700 KB .
    Before - it was already not badly : 795300 KB ...

I have Windows XP SP2 , 1 GB of RAM , 19 processes in Windows Task Manager - and 30 softwares to optimize and make safe Windows ... It's all! And I am not paranoiac .

You can see my recent acquisitions in the thread : Your NEW BEST Free softwares ... of 10 August 2008. Soon I would show my recent configuration in the thread : What is your security setup ... Coming Soon! ... to get ready ...

Cheers and Regards , PROROOTECT:thumb:

25. PROROOTECT

... Thread in Forum : Software & services :
    Your NEW BEST Free Softwares Anti-Malware and Windows cleaners ...:argh:

Better want for a profitable reading - and ACTIVE participation !

Thank you Long View:thumb: , Thank you for all with the good will ...:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.