Security Progs and LnS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Delgado, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I know how secure LnS is up against some firewalls out there, and I wonder are we getting paranoid about securing our PCs?

Is there any real need to run App Defend or Reg Defend, or in fact Processguard when using LnS Firewall?

I like to keep my running progs as low as possible, and sometimes feel we are being talked into buying a lot of progs which although may be good, are not really necessary.

Delgado
    :) :)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its up to u to decide how much security u need; u should also consider whether u surf safe sites or risky sites and whether u use p2p or not etc. lns is a very basic firewall with app control. appdefend and processguard are HIPS and can prompt u when a program runs, tries to install hooks or services etc. regdefend protects ur registry and prompts for changes. each program has its own functions and protects ur system in different way.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Look'N'Stop won't protect you from downloading an infected file, or opening an infected attachment. If a nasty gets in, Look'N'Stop won't protect you from having that nasty hide itself (rootkit, for instance), or from having it shut-down one or more of your security apps, or from having it mess around with your registry or... lots of other dirty rotten mean stuff. AppDefend & RegDefend DO protect you from those things.

IF you're behind a router AND running a broad-spectrum AV (such as NOD or KAV) AND running AppDefend + RegDefend, then you have the equivalent of several dozen snarling, pistoff Rottweilers guarding the entrance to your computer.

In such case, a software firewall wouldn't have much to do. However, if you DO want a software firewall, then be aware that the NON-free version of Look'N'Stop gives absolutely superb & stealthy protection by actual TEST.

4. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Thanks for advice Guys. I understand what you mean, and will probably install one or more apps as suggested.

:) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.