Security issues when not using Outbound Firewall

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mercurie, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures:
    I noted a member posted, where I discovered below product. Just wanted some input from users of this. I don't wish to get into a firewall debate here. But for now I am behind a Router Firewall on Wireless PC with Windows SP2 Firewall on. No third party one for outbound protection, but I have good AV, BoClean, weekly scan with Adware, Spybot (immunized fully) and A2. My children are having difficulty answering questions from out bound connection firewalls. So what is the use. :(

I have taught them well. But they do not have the skills or knowledge and are afraid to do things and constantly come to me. So I have decided to "risk" not using third party firewall. There has been much discussion on this in the firewall section. Dangers, Pros, Cons and so on.

I want to generate some discussion on this. But I do have an under lying question I am asking for some opinion from users on the following software as a tool for watching Ports and adding as another layer of defense. Others having tried this may know of a better freeware one. :doubt:

I think this could prove very useful when I am checking the family machine (daily) for potential hazards or misbehavior activity.

I love good open discussion. feel free. :) Active Ports program link below.

http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mecurie

I would think you are pretty well protected. Usually what I see in this question, is since I have the router why do I need a software firewall at all, and the issue is always the outbound question. What is overlooked in that argument is that with wireless the software firewall comes into play should someone get on your network with an infected computer. Since you are using Windows firewall you probably are fine. IMHO.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.