security for USB drives

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ShadeGTR, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadeGTR

ShadeGTR Registered Member

What security programs should we be running on our USB drives? We have an extensively list for the desktop but USB drives actually require security more because we use them on public computers like internet cafes and the library, college campuses, and airports. The thing I fear the most are keyloggers.

To start us off, I've done some searching and found the following:

- DriveSentry GoAnywhere

It claims to stop any modifications to our files and prevent anything installed on the USB drive.

-Portable version of Firefox

The web browser on the host computer might already have been compromised so we feel better using our own.

-Neo's Safekeys

This tiny application to safely enter in login information. Its usefulness is limited because we can only enter info to our Firefox.

2. interact

interact Registered Member

I'm slightly biased :) I've become a fan of the Drivesentry desktop protection product.

I've briefly tested their Goanywhere product and have found the following (+= like / - = dislike)

+Detects nearly 1m different strains of virus either writing to the key or being copied to the key.
    +Doesn't require U3.
    +Features behavioral detection (similar to ThreatFire and Sana) of unknown process writing to the key.
    +Runs from any removable drive (I tested it on my IPod!)
    +Uses whitelisting technology so known processes get automatically allowed.
    +Traps reads and writes to the drive.

-Requires net to connection to get signatures for good or bad apps. Apparently the signature database will soon be optionally stored on the key like their desktop product.
    -Requires admin rights to run the drivers. I guess most malware has a problem running without admin (esp under Vista).

I had a look around and it looks like some resellers are starting to take notice of Drivesentry -> http://www.pexagontech.com/products/drivesentry-firewall-software.php

~interact

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

THe thing I don't like about it is that you have to install in to the harddrive first, which requires SP2 and I don't want to install that.

4. interact

interact Registered Member

The GoAnywhere product installs direct to a removable drive. I think both still require SP2 as Drivesentry uses a filter driver for it's security rather than API hooks. I could be wrong but I only run Vista and XP SP2 so cannot test further.

~interact

5. atlantis

atlantis Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.