Security firm says Apple has more security holes than anyone

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JRViejo, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Computerworld Blog Post by Preston Gralla.​

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No responses? Maybe Mac users don't feel the need to visit Wilders?

3. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

Just wrapping up my mac pro in bubble wrap lol and pulling the erthernet cord out :argh::argh::argh:

I love my mac Pro and wouldn`t switch back full time to windows never!!! Mac osx for me is so much smoother, and alot easier OS to maintain, I run mac osx snow leopard firewall and clam-av never been infected yet!!!! I use firefox for my browser,

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I really would love to see hackers develop malware for Mac OS X like rabbits (If you know what I mean!), night and day... just like those batteries that last and last... :D

I have a strong feeling we would see Apple eat a lot frogs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Apple that not so long ago advised their users to use an antivirus and then took it back, and then some months later advised it again?

Go Apple... And, as a symbol we got a bitten Apple? Is that suppose to inspire trust? Don't they know that bitten apples rot faster than an entire one?

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If hackers truly wanted to, Linux distros would eat just as many frogs. Users who sing the praises of an "un-hackable" OS not only live in a dream world, they also never bring up that ugly little truth about targeting popular software and widespread use of such.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd run for my life after saying something like that. :)

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Why? They know the truth, even if it makes them cringe :D

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Exactly.

That's what I've always been preaching... but... well... the power of blind faith!

This reminds me of IE6. So insecure... So unsafe for users. What's the smart move? 40% of users (these numbers are from F-Secure; right now I don't have the link) switched to Firefox back then. Guess what? 40% of attacks moved towards Firefox. What does this mean? I guess you all can do the math.
    Of couse, IE still is the most used browser, so still the more attacked. Also very secure, considering all.

What would happen if Windows would become the less used O.S? Hackers would see no real benefit to keep developing malware to target this very same O.S. Windows would, in turn, become one of the safest O.S.

One thing is for sure: Windows grew a lot in terms of security. Why? An always-on attack.

If, as I mentioned, hackers start developing malware for OSX like crazy rabbits, and if no anti-malware solutions existed for this O.S, due to the fact Apple preaches their O.S. is so secure, Apple would fall deep in the pit, along their frustrated and mad costumers.
    Sometimes, I do wish this happens, only because of some people attitude towards this blind "security". People need to learn the hard way.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't wish for it to happen, it isn't your average users fault that they keep being fed all the marketing BS by Apple and others. The real truth is, no one is safe anymore. The harder security vendors and researchers fight, the harder the bad guys will fight back. And, you're right, for all of its problems, and it still has many for sure, Windows wouldn't have tighter security than ever before had it not spent years being attacked left and right on a daily basis. Microsoft has a LONG way to go in my book, but, they've learned a lot these past few years. Apples problem is Steve "Can't do no wrong" Jobs, Linux's saving grace is that it isn't on enough home computers globally, IMHO. The bad guys go where the masses go, it's always been that way and always will.

11. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Linux is very popular on web servers with at least as much market share as Windows. Where is all this malware? Your argument is flawed and very simplistic and you fail to consider how differently the OS's operate. Windows is Windows. Linux is Linux. OS X is Unix (which is much like Linux).

12. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Since most major financial institutions across the globe run Linux, unlike Apple and Windows, its the prime target for real hackers since the return is far better. This is what makes Linux stay on its toes 24H 7D and linux users get that advantage.

Also most military including Chinese, Russian and others use Linux, in terms of espionage and countermeasures, Linux again becomes the prime target, lets not forget Linux runs 93% of the Supercomps around the globe, not some average Joe Q. Public's PC with not much to gain.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Where exactly is your argument? Do you seriously think Linux is protected from attacks? As Linuxforall said, Linux is used on the majority of the worlds major financial and government systems...and guess what? If you haven't been hearing or reading, lots of banks and government systems have been breached and data stolen. I'm not trying to insult you or fight Chrono, I'm simply saying that differences in how an OS operates does not make it invulnerable. Trust me, if Linux started popping up on as many home systems as Windows, hackers would start working on it immediately. I completely understand the lowering of rights and repository safeguards that make Linux a lot harder of a nut to crack. But, it takes a bad file in a repository, and it takes your normal users knack for being stupid, to open doors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.