Security Center

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by lponoroff, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lponoroff

lponoroff Registered Member

With apologies if previously addressed; I did search. I just installed the LNS beta2 for Vista. All seems to be working fine, except the installation did not turn off the Vista firewall. Assuming having both running would not be a good idea, I turned it off manually. This left me with a Security Center warning in the task bar, so I turned off monitoring for the firewall in the Security Center and the warning went away. I am simply seeking confirmation that LNS is not recognized by the Security Center under Vista (as it is with XP Sp2) and that turning it off was appropriate. Thank you.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi lponoroff,

While it is always highly recommended NOT to install two or more third-party software firewalls at once, Look 'n' Stop does work very well in conjunction with Windows XP-SP2 / Vista built-in firewall, of course anyone can disable manually the Windows built-in firewall... I think though that a possible selection / deselection through the application installer interface to give the users the option to disable on installation the Windows built-in firewall automatically.

There is with Windows Security Center two types of detection methodology used, a manual process or by querying through windows WMI, Look 'n' Stop uses the querying method that still works with Vista but it requires the application to be set with administrator privilege level.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

3. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I also have that problem. my Vista Ultimate does't recognyze look'n'stop and Security Center shows a notification...
    What to do?

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

5. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Yes I have problem with version 2.06 :(
    I am administrator, if I will reinstall look'nstop with right click run as administrator it will fixed?

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, the problem is not about the installation, but when running Look 'n' Stop. Only when looknstop.exe is started with "Run as admin" the registration to the security center is working.

Frederic

7. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

So can you advise me what to do?

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Please help me fix this problem :doubt:

9. Phant0m

Options are;

Use the application file right-click context menu entry 'Run as administrator'. This manual approach leaves a large window of opportunity between Windows loading and the time you manually run the application as administrator. Using a more fixed / permit solution requires you to access application file properties, visit 'Compatibility' tab, and place a checkmark in the 'Run this program as an administrator' check-box shown under 'Privilege Level' section. And either way the user will be every-time UAC prompted (by default UAC state) about 'Unknown publisher', this could get very annoying.

Different product developers and users will suggest turning UAC off entirely, to avoid UAC hassles, but I don't condone this stupidness. Yes the UAC can be very annoying but has some benefits too, thankfully the UAC is configurable so one can make small adjustments and not needing to resort to entirely disabling the Vista UAC feature.

User's can change the Vista UAC behaviour through Microsoft Local Group Policy to suppress the UAC consent prompt behaviour, it can also be done through a registry tweak. This would be my suggestion in comparison to disabling Vista UAC entirely... Afterwards simply activate the feature 'Run this program as an administrator' on the Look 'n' Stop application, then re-boot...

Another favourable approach to many is simply to disable Windows Security Center, this of course is yet another stupid move, having Windows Security Center running can be beneficial. Instead of disabling the Windows Security Center entirely, you could choose 'I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself'. For now I suggest to simply use the Vista UAC tweak and placing the Look 'n' Stop application with admin privilege level, or at least until Frederic is able to get the application digitally signed by a trusted source, which costs.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

10. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Ok thank, now I understand :)

11. Phant0m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.