Securing Windows 2000 Pro

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Comp01, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am getting a new PC with Windows 2000 Pro + Windows 2000 Pro disk,however, since I've only been using Win9x systems forever (98/98SE/95) I don't know what to do/how to secure a Win2000 system, I know I need the I believe it is 3 or 4 service packs for it, plus all security updates, however, what else would I need to configure to make it secure?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can start by getting your service packs here

3. Loki

Loki Registered Member

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

IMO....the programs you have listed in your sig tells me your concerned about Security and if you apply those same practices\software packages to W2K you'll be headed in the right direction. With W2K, as it is with XP....you will be more prone to vulnerabilities than you were with Win98 and definetly need any updates\service packs. Before getting online....protect yourself with a firewall or you'll be immediately blasted :)

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

First thing you have to do is to get Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. This will help you check your security settings.

Then, only if you're very curious, surf to CI Security. They have a security baseline for W2K and a benchmarking tool. This will allow you to compare your security policy to some default policies.
    Their baseline helps tuning your own policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.