SecureAPlus Freemium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sinlam, Jul 24, 2013.

1. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

It should work together with Comodo as I have tried it. But be on the safe side, you might want to disable the HIPS and just use the sandbox.
    It's great you enjoy thanks!

2. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

We need to do further testing before we can confirm whether SecureAPlus work well with other whitelisting solution. We will keep you posted :)

3. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thank you so much for liking SecureAPlus :) When we developed SecureAPlus, we ensure that it supports other antivirus software so that users can use SecureAPlus without having to uninstall their existing antivirus software on their computer.

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I forgot to white list it when testing Panda Cloud AV :p and then remembered how to add it manually so its now good to go :D. My little cousin is ALWAYS infecting his family computer with malware, so when he gets his own laptop (if its windows) I will DEFINITELY be putting THIS on. Also I would like the suggest a password protection option.

5. cheater87

Got a breach. Even with the settings on MAX I was able to get some Chinese malware to run.

6. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Shouldn't it prompt when executing? As it should be doing....
    Unless somehow it's in the trusted list..

7. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Yes, definitely you need to put that on his laptop. Same goes for my nephew. He keeps infecting my sister's machine with malware that she has to buy a separate laptop for him. I just helped my nephew to install SecureAPlus on his laptop yesterday :D

As for your suggestion on password protection option, can you please elaborate further on how the password work and why is it important? We are still improving SecureAPlus and it is good for us to have better understanding on the user's needs.

8. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Is the Chinese malware in the system during the whitelisting process?

9. cheater87

No it is not. I downloaded it after it was finished the white listing.

10. cheater87

Well without a password anyone who wants to can figure out how to add stuff manually to the white list. So if this is one someone's laptop who likes to play games he downloads online, he can just find white listing, add the file manually and then let it install. With a password he can't do that since it would ask him to input it during either going into the white listing section or before adding the file, blocking him from doing so.

11. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi cheater87, thank you so much for your extremely valuable feedback :thumb: . We are very concerned about this Chinese Malware and we really want to get to the bottom of it quickly.

To help us in our investigation, kindly advise us the following:

1. What is the status of the "Initial database" when you run the Chinese Malware? You can check the status by launching SecureAPlus Main Console and then click on "Application Whitelisting" button.

saplus3.png

If the status is still "in progress...", this means that whitelisting process is still in progress and any malware, unfortunately, may be able to get in. The whitelisting protection will kick in only after the whitelisting process has completed. But with our upcoming new release, this problem may be mitigated.

If are not sure what was the status when you run the malware and if the status now shows "Created", you can do the following:
    - Untrust the malware file by doing a mouse-right click on the file and select "Not Trusted".

saplus5.png

- After untrusting it, please try to run the Chinese malware to see whether it goes through this time.

2. Is the malware signed? If it is signed, you can check its publisher name by going to Windows Explorer, do a mouse-right-click on the file, select properties and look for Digital Signatures tab. If it is not signed, you will not see the "Digital Signatures" tab.

saplus4.png

We very keen to investigate further and if you don't mind, is it possible to send us the Chinese Malware for further analysis? Alternatively, you let us know where we can download the sample malware via email. :)

12. cheater87

1. It finished its white listing process before I downloaded this.

2. I set it to untrusted by right clicking it was set to trusted installer I believe.

3. Digital signature is in Chinese no idea what it says.

4. How do I send you the malware sample?

13. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Instead of using password protection, we provide another option whereby SecureAPlus security is tied to Windows account. So you can do the following to ensure that any user who is using your computer cannot modify the whitelist:

1. Create another "User" Windows account for any user who shared your computer.

2. At the Application Whitelisting dialog box, click on "Trusted Accounts" tab. Only users that are listed in the "Trusted Users" list are allowed to modify the Trusted Certificate list.

saplus6.png

3. You can specify the users that are allowed to modify the trusted list entry in the "Trusted User" list. In the example below, "Joe" is added as one of the trusted users, therefore, he has the right to modify the trusted list.

Hope this helps.

saplus7.png

14. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Please zip it first and then email to secureaplus@secureage.com. Thanks a million for your help ;)

15. cheater87

Malware sent in zipped file :)

16. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Got it! Thanks ;) I will let you know the outcome after we have completed testing.

17. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi cheater87, we have tested SecureAPlus with Comodo's default setting. It seems to work well together :)

18. cheater87

19. cheater87

I installed both APlus, Toolwiz Timefreeze, and Comodo Firewall and now for some reason the OS is borked on the netbook and Windows won't boot up. (not sure if related or not) Also the extra Windows key I had from a few years back isn't working. Oh well that netbook was old anyways. (Puts linux on it) I should get a new laptop anyways.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  20. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Sorry for the frustration you are facing right now. You can boot up via Safe Mode and then uninstall SecureAPlus. To help us further diagnose this problem, kindly advise the following:

1. Windows OS - What is the version? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

2. Applications - Do you have other applications like Comodo Internet Security 6, K9 Web Protection, Zemana Free Anti Keylogger, Comodo DNS, Firefox with Noscript, Adblock Plus, WOT and Secunia PSI installed on the netbook? Are there any other security software apart from those that I had mentioned?

We have sent you an email regarding the Chinese Malware.

21. cheater87

On the Netbook I had Comodo Firewall newest version and SecurAplus (this non booting this has happened a few times before so I have had to do a few reformats and I think I accidentally went over the recovery partition with Linux o_O So I will have to find a new version of Windows to put on it. My sig is for my Laptop I got, another computer. When I get windows back on that netbook I will see if I can help further. :)

22. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi cheater87, we have tested the Chinese Malware that you have sent us on several platforms like Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. SecureAPlus is able to detect it and the following prompt will always appear every time we run the Chinese Malware.

saplus8.png

When running any untrusted application, SecureAPlus will always alert and prompt the user whether to trust the application. When this happens, users need to click "No" to untrust the file.

There are two possibilities how this Chinese Malware is able to go through:

1. It could be its signature is already in the "Trusted Certificate" list. This may happen when you have another software, that is published by the same company, already on your computer, way before SecureAPlus is installed. After installing SecureAPlus, it will be trusted automatically during the initial whitelisting process. So when you run the Chinese Malware after the whitelisting process, it can go through.

2. The Chinese Malware may have been accidentally trusted as the installer during the SecureAPlus prompt. So subsequently, whatever it installs will be trusted.

If users have accidentally trusted an application, they can untrust it by doing a right-mouse click. It will then be automatically removed from the "Trusted Certificate" list.

saplus5.png

To verify, you can go to "Application Whitelisting" console and click on "Trusted Certificate" tab. The application which you have just untrusted will no longer be in the trusted list.

23. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I am a believer in the whitelisting concept, so I decided to give SecureAPlus a test on my machine. I installed the whitelist without the AV component.

So far, it all seems to work, and the UI is logical and easy to understand.

I notice that the default setting after installation is "Trust by digital signature if the file is not in the whitelist" and also "The certificate name has to be in the trusted certificate list."

Again, this all seems logical ... however, more than 50% of the certificates in the application's list have expired.

This is a concern - or does it not matter? Can anyone explain?

24. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

hi sinlam,

i installed secureaplus with an AV component. And having exactly the same issue. Not able to close firefox in sandboxie. It hang completely. No issues outside sandboxie..

Going to restart laptop now...

Other security softwares installed - Avast 8 AV, Rapport, EMET 4
    Firefox - v22, ABP, No Script

Any workarounds or help in this is appreciated.

thanks,
    harsha.

25. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Tadoussac, don't worry, the expired certificates will not affect SecureAPlus whitelisting protection. Applications with expired certificates are still valid and are allowed to run on the system. In another word, expired certificate basically can no longer be used for signing newly developed application but any old application that has been signed before the certificate expired is still valid. Since such applications are still valid, they will be added into the "Trusted Certificate" list during SecureAPlus initial whitelisting process.

Hope this helps to address your concern. If you need further clarification, please feel free to post your question in this forum or email us at secureaplus@secureage.com. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.