SecureAnywhere!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That answered my question. No more needs to be discussed. I'm renewing my license now. I find that having 2 AV's is great if Webroot can improve the detection I'll chuck it back on.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

You shouldnt have two AV,s running.:doubt:
    Dont take my word for it ,im only going by what ive read here on wilders.
    Ive never tried it myself so i dont know how it works.:ninja:

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I will ask you again to please explain the detection numbers you posted so that we understand how the test was done and why you believe it's valid.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

WSA has been engineered so that it will work alongside another AV without a problem :)

5. gery

gery Registered Member

i am running it alongside Avira premium with not probs at all.

6. Tests are done by real people,using 0-day samples & you can't prepare for it in advance like the AV-C test! The people have nothing to gain except informing the community of security enthusiasts.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

AFAIK the problem is that they just scan the folder with malware, instead of executing each sample.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is it possible to manually update WSA signatures? I didn't think it saved any signatures locally. I understood it to consult the cloud on how to proceed against any threat.

9. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It does store signatures locally as well, and a moving view of the most relevant ones to that PC. You can't update it manually but it is updated on every database transaction.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Very simple and posted multiple times in here. Malware is scanned and not executed. This cannot measure WSA ability in protecting your system. If you do not understand how WSA is working then obviously it is difficult for you to review more critically tests results. The best is to try it yourself if you are able to :)

On top, I am often seeing in these tests, that samples are not tested at all to ensure they are really malware. So, you get a mix of safe applications, adware applications and malware. Not good :thumbd:

12. What FUD. I can assure you they are real malware. Check MD5 hash against VirusTotal. But keep on making excuses, I'll ask the real questions about why Webroot has such poor detection. If you do not see the pattern of poor results or want to acknowledge them that's your business. I have nothing against Webroot I just hate misinformation.

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Not a bad idea, yes, but just because some file is scanned by a dozen or so engines does not make it malicious. I am not saying a backdoor sitting in a zip file couldn't be infected. Simply there are many harmless programs and URLs unknown/outdated/etc that are being detected or claimed as malware. I have witnessed Roxio disc burner on MDL.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

LoL, it looks like you are not here making any minimal effort to hear users or trying to understand :D Then peace, WSA is NOT for you. :thumb:

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im not a security expert but i do get the fundamental idea of how wsa works.in that it stops an actively running malware.True enough these tests do seem rather negative in webroots point of view but its the user statements which should be taken into consideration and on the whole it does seem a pretty decent app.A trojan can happily sit on your computer for years and not do anything until it decides to run etc and if im correct this is how webroot works.
    Pity it doesnt work alongside kaspersky or i may have given it a test run.:thumb: :ninja:

16. SLE

SLE Registered Member

I don't see any reason or feature that would make sense to run this program when KIS is installed.

Beside that: This product (WSA) has the best and most offensive marketing ;-)

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

It will do very shortly...in the Fall release of WSA. Have run KIS & WSA together for a superb level of protection but had to remove WSA when I upgraded to KIS 2013. The issue of compatibility has been notified to Webroot and they have been working to resolve this since late August.

Should not be long now before normal service is restored...for those who want it...of course.

18. Please... I fully understand that people are making excuses for Webroot's poor performance. They love it when they get good press, but when some amateur shows up with a test they miserably fail at they go missing or make up lame excuses.

If your going to recommend Webroot as a AV solution without looking at the facts then you have failed your responsibility to the community. We need to hold up all AV companies up to clear standards because we are placing our security in their hands.

People should be given all the information to make an informed decision, the good and the bad and not just the feel good stories and PR bull**** we often get.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@ComputerSaysNO

Don't you read replies from members that have said over and over again how WSA really works? o_O

Such as.... the results (that you mentioned before) should be different if each sample were executed?

20. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSpV_3VdurU&feature=em-uploademail[/url]

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Here you have again... another youtube test... don't you read what have been said up to now? Just another troller. This must be the new webroot troller olimpics :D

22. Please... You have swallowed the marketing hype hook, line and sinker. If their database does not detect the file as malicious it will run.

I'd like to see some test results on the "rollback" function. I bet they won't be favourable.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Would you mind choosing your favorite tool and use it as by now you are becoming an heavy troller in here. Sorry to say. :)
    May be, since you don't beleive in it you may want to test yourself and report back. I bet you will not be able to, then please shut up once for all :thumb:

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yea it tastes good yummy anyway....

If the "testers" on youtube, forums etc etc... would Execute Each Sample instead of Scanning A Folder Of Malware, then the results should improve.

This was the last time and ....Once again HTH :D

Edit: If you are a member on the forum that you took the results from then please tell them to try what we all are suggesting above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.