Secure zone on a USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Polaris431, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polaris431

Polaris431 Registered Member

Is it possible to create a secure zone on a USB drive? I don't want it on an internal drive because if the drive fails, then my backup is useless. By storing the backup on the external USB drive, if my internal drive fails, I still have a chance of recovering my system. When I use the "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" wizard, my USB drive is listed but selecting it as the drive for the secure zone is not possible as it is greyed out (disabled). Why is it greyed out and if this is deliberately done by Acronis, why?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Why not just save it as a regular Backup Image on the USB drive? You don't have to use the SZ to hold a Backup.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Polaris431,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Products

Acronis does not recommend creating the Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive. If you activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and then for some reason disconnect the drive Acronis Secure Zone resides on, your computer may boot with a long delay or not boot at all. You will need to either reconnect the drive with the Acronis Secure Zone or fix the master boot record (MBR).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Some folks make it work but it's much easier to not use a SZ. If you're worried that your backup isn't safe enough not using a SZ, then store the backup dirve in a safe place -- an advantage to using an external dirve. Drives are so inexpensive these days, why not get an extra and store that one offsite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.