Secure Zone error message on Windows boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ken92111, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken92111

ken92111 Registered Member

When a 30GB Secure Zone on a second internal hard drive was filled I deleted it and replaced it with a fresh Zone of equal size. I then created a full system image, verified it and then restored the image as a test all with no problem. The Secure Zone appears on the "Hard Drives" display of "My Computer," PartitionMagic and, of course, True Image 8.0 since the software is creating and restoring images. However, on Windows boot up I get an annoying and time consuming error message telling me that the Acronis Secure Zone was "not created." Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this erroneous error message? I did run the repair option on the install disk but to no effect.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There is something amiss with the secure zone creation.
    It should not appear on hard drives in My Computer. This is because it does not have a drive letter and should not be visible to My Computer. It should appear in computer management as Acronis SZ with it's size and it's FAT 32 file system it will also be annotated as an unknown partition.

All changes to a secure zone should be made using the manage secure zone wizards. Perhaps in one or another process you used a different tool.

Xpilot

3. ken92111

Thanks XPilot but Computer Management does show the Secure Zone as "Healthy(Unknown Partition)." even as it is assigned a drive letter on My Computer and Partitionmagic. I think I'll go ahead and reinstall True Image again being careful to only use the dedicated wizard to delete and recreate the Secure Zone. I'll let you know if the error message finally goes away. Best Regards.

4. ken92111

Deleted Secure Zone with its management wizard and uninstalled Partition Magic. Reinstalled and used the wizard to recreate Secure Zone. As before, the program is functioning perfectly creating and restoring images. On first boot after reinstall it advised that "secure zone was successfully created." But on subsequent boots here comes the same "not created" error message. Secure Zone appears in computer management and My Computer as above. At this point I'll live with the d---d error message as long as the substantive program is working as advertised. Huge waste of time.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

ken92111,

I don't know what may be the cause for the issue you have with SZ, but I would like to comment on your setup.

If you have a second internal drive and you (seemingly) do not rely on the automatic FIFO image deletion done by TI (but you delete the whole SZ instead, only to recreate it), why then have a SZ at all? If you may be thinking that the SZ is required for TI to do it's job in a catastrophic situation - it is not. You can store the image files in a regular partition on the second internal drive and do any restore you will ever need from there an be as safe as you would be with the images stored in the SZ (except possibly from viruses or an accidental deletion done by yourself). If the image files are stored on a regular partition, you can selectively delete them with Explorer whenever you need to make space.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I wonder if your use of Partition Magic had anything to to do with this booting anomaly.

In normal use PM does not have to be used to manipulate the SZ at all. Not in it's creation, resizing or deletion. All this should be done using the Acronis Wizard.
    I cannot recall the message " secure zone was successfully created" but I originally made mine a while ago under Version 8 and it has carried forward via V9 to it's present use in V 10.
    Can you account for all your disk space used and unused ? My thinking is that somehow you have actually got a TI secure zone and another pseudo secure zone that can be seen in My Computer.

Xpilot

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I think that's a very good point. What if PM recognises it as FAT32 and autocorrects the partition type.

F.

8. ken92111

Thanks foghorne,XPilot,bVolk--what I wound up doing was Plan B--reformatting; owing to Karen's Replicator(freeware) on daily automatic backup of files and folders including downloads, Firefox extension and bookmark backups, all is well again. True Image including SZ is now functioning as it has the the last 2 years+, flawlessly with no error messages. I can only guess that there was over time some registry corruption or, as suggested, program conflict. If anything similar should happen again I'll be sure to check out all possibilities before bugging you guys with what was an annoyance rather than a critical malfunction. I hope someday to be as courteous and helpful to someone else on this forum as you have been to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.