Secure Folders to protect folders (and use as anti-executable)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Same here, but Secure Folders seems to be the only no-bloat software that offers all the options in one app, including "read only" and "lock". When I began searching for an up-to-date alternative to Secure Folders, I actually thought that I would soon find a similar app, but now I know I was wrong. There does not seem to be at least one app (free or paid) that offers all the options you find in Secure Folders. Should you find something, please let me know.:geek:

2. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Will do man, depending on how long this band-aid solution fits for me... might lose the plot before I find an alternative app!

3. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

It might be abandonware – but I think this is a nice little program – bugger all overhead and really easy to setup. As RejZoR said – would have been nice to have rules per Trusted apps, but that ain't gonna happen!

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Maybe some developer will see the opportunity here to write something afresh, and keep it as simple, but include this feature :)

5. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

This is exactly what I hope. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this will happen soon.:cool:

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I mist this post, but I can't answer this, I don't know.

Yes this would be nice, I believe that RejZoR said that old versions of Panda AV did offer this feature.

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Having rules per trusted app would be nice indeed. I still hope that sooner or later a developer will come up who develops a similar app with all the features described in this thread. When it comes to ransomware, such an app could be an additional layer of security.

8. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Does anybody know how the developer of Secure Folders can be contacted? If so, I would try again to get in touch with him (or her).

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would suspect the developer doesn't want to be bothered. If he let the website go he clearly has lost interest and moved on.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is another one of those occasions where we can just be glad that it is what is, AS-IS, and that if SF compliments your current security setup without issue then chalk it up as a courtesy left behind by the original developer

11. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

It's against my journalistic nature, but I promise to leave him (or her) alone. Instead, I will try to find an alternative app that's still supported by its developer (even though I know that I will probably not succeed in finding one).

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

support[at]securefoldersfree.com

Though, if domain went down, it's very likely e-mail domain did as well...

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why. If you have the app try it. If itnstalls and seems to work, test it on your machine. If it works what more do you need.

14. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I just don't want to install "abandonware" on my machine that may soon prove incompatible with my computer. For the time being, I will keep on using Secure Folders (what else could I do), but I will also try to find an alternative app that isn't dead yet.

As far as I know, good alternative software (free or paid) does not seem to exist, so I can only hope that sooner or later a good alternative to Secure Folders will be made available by a programmer who loves this app as much as I do. If not, well, I will either keep on using abandoned Secure Folders (reluctantly) or I will have to put up with an inferior alternative to this app.

15. guest

guest Guest

i dont think SF will ever be incompatible, it doesn't install drivers or hooks; and if you worry , just make it portable :)

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

17. guest

guest Guest

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yeah so even as a portable app it should install or something its own drivers, I think.

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I don't see that driver (ippnp.sys) with portable installation.

20. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I personally had never tried the portable mode of Secure Folders, so I don't recall if there were any filtering limitations between regular install or portable mode. It could be that it is using the driver on-demand, starting and stopping as necessary when in portable mode. It is unfortunate to see this software go, though. It would have been fantastic if the developer had open-sourced the code before calling it quits.

21. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Good point. If there's a filtering limitations for not using a mini-filter driver then I strongly believe we have a potential security weakness here.
    Rather I'd go with full install instead.

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Isn't that because you can't install drivers with portable installations? And I didn't even know that SF could still work without loading a driver, sounds a bit weird.

Yes good point, these types of apps should have the driver running all of the time, not on demand.

23. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Agreed, but if Secure Folders is no longer supported by its developer, it may well be the case that this program will sooner or later be incompatible with modern operating systems. "WildByDesign" is absolutely right when he says that the developer should have open-sourced the code instead of abandoning his much-beloved program.

24. TestPersonX

TestPersonX Registered Member

What about this one? http://fspro.net/hide-folders/ I used it to hide folders in 2009 (version 2 or something like this),since then it seems to have grown a lot, there is also a very new release on 19-Dec-2015.

Is there any other program to lock / read-only certain folders? Do you know?

And one thing in general which I'd like to know your opinions about: Im always a little bit sceptical about installing a program which needs to be "installed" so deep into my computer from a company about which is only little known. I mean, to lock or make read-only a folder, I guess the SW needs to be quite deeply connected into drivers / kernel of Windows... So you really gotta trust the company...!?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  25. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Hi, TestPersonX! The program you suggested is pretty close to what I like about Secure Folders but, as far as I know, it doesn't offer a "no-execution" option for files, which makes it inferior to Secure Folders and can therefore not be regarded as a true alternative. The search goes on .... and on ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.