Secure Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by operafox, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. operafox

operafox Registered Member

Hi guys.... Maybe other Opera users could help me on this:

I'd like to set up Opera to alert me with a dialog box any time I'm about to enter a secure connection, and again when I'm about to leave a secure connection. How to do?

Thanks

2. bombdiller

bombdiller Registered Member

File-preferences-security-ask before submitting form unsecurily.
    thats about it!

3. SameProblem

SameProblem Guest

Hi; I have the same problem as the fox, and although the above answer may seem to do the trick, it's not quite the same...

It is true Opera can ask the user every time it's about to connect to the net over an UNencrypted connection, which in a sense is great, but in another is quiet tiring, because you always get the warning each time you click on a legitimately unencrypted link.

So, more often than not, users turn this function off, knowing each time they don't get warned means they're about to unsecurely submit. That's not a problem.

Anyway, that's only part of the problem.

What Opera doesn't seem to be able to do is alert the user BEFORE submitting a form over an encrypted/secure connection. What's the use? Its twofold:

1. Proxomitron or WebWasher users like to know when some sites turn the encryption on, because https connetions in general connect directly to the browser rather than going through the virtual proxy, trying to get browser and system information through this method.
    2. When buying books or cds over the internet, it's nice to know when the encryption is gonna be turned ON, as example right before submitting personal data. Without such a warning, one may lauch the submission and only then realize the data has been transferred over a non-secured connection.

Mozilla, for instance, warns before submitting a form securily, as well as warning before switching back from secure to unsecure, which I find very useful. Of course, as Opera, Moz' also has the additional possibility to warn before submitting unsecurely, so from this standpoint, Mozilla has it all, while Opera is somewhat one-dimensional.

So the OLperafox's original question remains. But maybe there's no staisfactory way to answer it?!

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.