Secuina psi

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cruser921, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruser921

cruser921 Registered Member

hi all how much resources dose the secuina psi use i was going to try a reinstall of it as i had a bad experience with it not removing when i thought it was the cause of my problem of slow pc. i had to install it three times and uninstall it before it would remove it self completely. but i want to try this app and was wondering how much processes it uses beings it runs in the background.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Did I mention that I sometimes do requests :D. Keep in mind that I'm running a quad core with 4 Gigs of RAM.
    PSImemusage.JPG
    P.S. If you are running Vista, it would need to be installed with admin privileges.

Edit: The settings tab in the PSI GUI allows you the option to untick "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable program monitoring". I assume this allows you to run PSI manually.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. cruser921

that isn't much at all i will try a reinstall I'm on xp pro machine i think it was my AV that screwed with it gonna turn it off. one more thing do you just keep it on all the time? it seams that its pretty light on resources i have a few other things running in background as well what one more thing lol. mines a 2.6 gig pent 4 hyper-threaded
    2 gigs a ram

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I only installed it as a test. I was editing my last post as you were posting. Check my edit as it gives directions that may disable the background process if you need to.

P.S. Your system should be good enough. Also, your doing a good thing by wanting to keep your programs patched and up to date :thumb:.

P.S.S. I do everything manually on my computer, but I try to keep on top of what has been patched at security forums. I would recommend to an average user to run the program in the background if they have the system resources.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@cruser, see here

6. cruser921

thanks all i should be ok also going to install it on my other machine as well its a amd mobil 64 bit processor in it lol.i dont much like amd anymore so its my kids computer :argh:

7. cruser921

hi all i got it installed and so far so good my question is what setting to leave it on? i have it on this one right now Show only "Easy-to-Patch" programsi undid it once and it detected a file in my renamed software distribution folder that Microsoft had me rename because it got corrupted. and also detected some stupid dll file in safari. but what all do you set it on the easy one?. thanks all. if i ignore these things then it ignores the whole windows directory lol.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    i have never seen a reason to install the secunia PSI.
    i used to run the online version over yonda (uses java)
    there is also f-secure healthcheck (uses activeX)
    my secuirty suite has vunrability checking bultin so dont even need to run those anymore.

9. cruser921

it's a good program and pretty light on resources i'm surprised now that i got it working good i like it :) just curious what to set it on like i said in the post above. any suggestions?

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I like to run the PSI once in a while because its database includes info on a heck of a lot more apps than does the online version.

Downloading and installing is a little tricky, if (like me) you use Firefox as your default browser. You'll have to temporarily set IE as your default for this, however once installed you can set Firefox back to default and PSI will run quite happily.

I don't leave it on all the time, since there's update notices in enough places (and update checks in many apps) that I rely mostly on those. But I do have some oddball apps that don't usually appear in the update forums but which, interestingly, are included in PSI's database.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey, i didnt relise the installed version checked alot more apps.
    the database is bultin to kis2009 so i dont need the PSI tools from securina

12. cruser921

yeah i leave it on here docent take much resources i just ignored the files showing up in my old software distribution folder with the ignor app function lol. i took it out of easy mode to see what all was not reported and two files the old ones in SDold renamed folder and some stupid dll. so i was surprised that i had a pretty updated PC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.