Second Licence Unusable

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zarzenz, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I have been using ESS on my main computer for some time. The cpu usage is always low since I disabled the auto update on the hour. I still get updates via initial dialup which keeps all my definitions to the latest versions.

But now I have a serious problem.

I decided to purchase a second licence so that I could use a laptop on the net in addition to my main computer. This is a Dell Inspiron 8100 with Intel Pentium 3 running 866 Mhz.

The problem is that after a short time from boot up the whole laptop will freeze completely… the mouse is totally inactive as is the keyboard.

I was able to run process explorer on one occasion before this happened and observed that ekrn.exe was using 74% cpu just before it crashed.

If the laptop is left alone, after a few minutes it sometimes releases the system and the computer is then usable for a short time again.

But really, in essence, the computer is totally useless in this state.

Having paid for the extra licence after having no problems with my main computer I obviously am very disappointed with this situation that ESS has given me now. If I remove ESS from the laptop it then once again becomes a very usable computer, but without any net protection I am unable to use it for the purpose that was intended.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

How much memory does your laptop have installed?
    How old is this particular laptop?
    What OS is installed?

These questions will help figure out the problem.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

4. zarzenz

Capp,

In answer to your questions... the OS is XP Pro SP2 running on a Dell laptop about 5 years old but which has given trouble free service up to now.

The processor is Intel Pentium 3 mobile cpu 866 MHz with 384 Mb RAM.

The disk size is 30 Gb.

Marcos,

I am now going to download and try the newer version... I wonder if it has had any work put into the coding to possibly address all these high cpu usages and freeze ups that seem to be a rather unwelcome feature of the otherwise excellent ESS program.

I have to say my main computer has a 2 Ghz processor with 512 Mb RAM and apart from high cpu usage many months ago, which I was able to cure by stopping the hourly update, I have not had a single problem with it. This is why I bought the extra licence for the older laptop, thinking it would be just as good. But it has been a total nightmare and if this was my only computer I simply could not use it with ESS in its current form.

So... here is hoping the new version helps, or if not, maybe ESET will be able to do something about this issue with another build soon.

Anyway... I will go grab the download now and see if it helps.

Thanks to you both for now.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

One thing you could always do if it just refuses to work for you, is to download and install v2.7. It doesn't require near as much processing or memory usage and its protection is just as adequate. One of those, "just in case" situations. ;)

6. zarzenz

Could do that Capp, if all else fails, but then again, paying for the additional licence for ESS means I'm not then getting what I paid for.

Anyway... as regards the update to 667.

It worked perfectly on the main computer, then transferred the download to the laptop... but still froze after a few minutes... so still unusable.

This really is starting to become an amazingly not good experience for me now and after many months of reading post after post of similar experiences of others, it simply boils down to customers not getting what they pay for with the current build/coding of ESS.

It is such a shame that an otherwise totally excellent product, which obviously does work properly on some computers, fails to work consistently on all, as is now being demonstrated to me via my otherwise very reliable laptop.

Anyway... getting late now so I'm shutting down everything here and will have to decide tomorrow where to go with all this.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is not normal, we have not been reported a problem like this from anyone else. I assume there's something else (maybe some remnants form your previous antivirus?) that is causing this. Could you please download ESET SysInspector, create a log and send it to support[at]eset.com with this thread's url enclosed? The best would be to get a complete memory dump from the moment when the problem occurs. Almost surely it'd reveal the cause. Please let me know if you are willing to do it so that I can provide you with the instructions (a memory dump is approx. of the same size as the amount of installed RAM).

8. zarzenz

Yes, I am happy to do these if it will result in a working system.

I can download SysInspector now and do that first and then can try and obtain a memory dump if you can give me the method for doing that also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.