SE Labs : Home Anti-Malware Protection / Oct-Dec 2017

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anon, Mar 25, 2018.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. anon

anon Registered Member

https://blog.avira.com/free-security-suite-won-aa-rating-se-labs/

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

...And I'm supposed to believe the "Blackguard" Norton is actually better than the rest, that too in "accuracy"?

Yeah, right.

4. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

Admittedly, I didn't read the entire thing carefully but why did they test the free version of some companies (e.g., Avast Free, AVG Free, Avira Free) against paid versions like Kaspersky Internet Security and Bitdefender Internet Security, among others? Seems a bit off kilter.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Interesting indeed. I believe this is the first like test by an AV lab.

Target attacks are unique in that the attacker will expend considerable effort in performing recognizance activities against the target. In the case of an e-mail payload, it would be making it appear to be legit. So the attacker would gather as much background data on the target as available. In other attack modes, surveillance tools such as a keylogger, and credential gathering tools will be deployed. The bottom line is that when the actual attack occurs, it has a high likelihood of success.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

SE Lab briefly in the report noted that they test products widely in use. Since they are located in the U.K., AV vendors in Europe who offer free versions would be the logical choice. Qihoo 360 would be the logical choice for Asia given its large use there. The only thing I have been puzzled about with their tests is use of MSE versus Windows Defender. Perhaps to factor in the still widespread use of XP despite it no longer being supported?

7. waking

waking Registered Member

Win 7 actually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.