SdBots

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by thedman, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedman

thedman Registered Member

Hi

One of my kids got a couple of backdoor SdBot trojans on his PC. I found them using AVG after he complained it was acting up. I took the drastic action of reformatting and reinstalling. I've since tried reading up on these trojans and they seem pretty nasty (although I don't really know what I'm talking about here). I'd like advice on whether there is any continuing threat. We have a wifi network and I've read that the backdoor sdbots connect to the internet and open you up to hacking attacks. Presumably this is what happened so I'm wondering whether my network is still vulnerable now that the trojans have been removed. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Unless other machines are infected, once the threat is gone it's gone.
    Mrk

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thedman, I agree with Mrkvonic. You shouldn't be worry if other PCs on your netwirk are fine. Anyway, what antivirus are you using now? Sticked with AVG?
    If you like a free AV you could also try Avira which has definetely better detection. :)

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Well, the trojans may have been removed with your reformat and reinstall, but the question remains, how did the SDBots get onto your machine in the first place. Without knowing history, we are doomed to repeat the past.

There is another article discussing SDBots with respect to open-source virus development that can use an FU kit plug-in.

See "Virus writers use open-source methods" at:
    http://news.com.com/Virus writers use open-source methods/2100-7355_3-6094779.html?tag=nefd.top

Batten down the hatches for more of the same.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.