sd card as removable media will be on the wish list indefinitely?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by vtol, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtol

vtol Registered Member

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

My SD cards are scanned as soon as I insert one into my nettop.

3. vtol

vtol Registered Member

and that shows how? because there is no indication on my laptop of such. nor, and most importantly sd cannot be blocked, or does it on your nettop?

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Have you tried the populate with connected device for filling the fields with the correct parameters

5. vtol

vtol Registered Member

yep, but it does not show the sd card as connected device (in NOD)

6. Marcos

I've tested both detection of inserted media and blocking them on my nettop. To put it right, detection worked fine and after inserting an SD card I was offered an option to scan it. However, populating information with inserted device parameters while creating a filtering rule for blocking the card didn't work. After talking to the devs, this is probably because the reader is most likely not connected via USB and utilizes the SD protocol for communication. This functionality is currently being revamped to support many more devices and should be first introduced in Business Edition of v5.

7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

obviously it is not a USB device but PCIe, else it would have been picked up in the first place. but that was the issue from the very beginning of the thread. and on my laptop the there is no detection/scanning of the card when inserted.

16-06-2011 14-15-17.jpg

why is now going to be included in the business edition only? SD cards are only being used in business now? what will be the difference to the normal/personal edition, aside from a probably higher price tag? when will said business edition be introduced, along with the personal edition?

8. Marcos

I didn't state this at all. I don't see any reason why this functionality would not make it to the home version once it's ready. As I wrote previously, it should be first incorporated in business edition v5 that is going to be introduced later this year.

9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

you did not make that clear in the earlier post nor now. can you affirmatively confirm that it will be incorporated into the personal edition - yes/no?

and why would it go first into the business edition? shouldn't it be released simultaneously for the personal edition too? it does not make sense to hold it back from the personal edition.

10. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Cause BE is released enough time later as for developing that feature? o_O

11. Marcos

You hit the nail right on the head :)

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

there is still no confirmation that the feature will be showing in the personal edition at all.... what is so difficult to make a clear statement about? hence repeating the question - can you affirmatively confirm that it will be incorporated into the personal edition - yes/no? (would appreciate to hear from Marcos as rep of Eset)

and whatever the nail is, it is being missed wide as it does not explain why the feature would not be released simultaneously for the personal edition. what does the development to do with it, you develop it and you release it simultaneously across the v5 series? unless you develop it exclusively for the BE - and that is what you have been stating here so far...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello VTOL,

Because USB, PCI- and PCIe-based interfaces for flash media like SecureDigital cards are implemented across PCs targeted at both consumer and business market segments with little regard for which interface goes to which market segment, it makes sense that when the functionality is rolled out as part of the business edition, it will be made available in the home edition as well.

That said, I will check with the product marketing and developer folks on Monday when the office reopens for business to see if I can find a definitive answer for you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. vtol

vtol Registered Member

appreciate the input, but seems that you did not get a definite answer amid your efforts... ...which is unfortunate, to say the least

15. agoretsky

Hello VTOL,

I am still waiting for a complete answer from product management.

Given that PCI- and PCIe-attached card readers appear in notebooks and desktops for the consumer market, I am hopeful that the answer will be that these interfaces are to be supported by the home edition when the functionality becomes available.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. vtol

vtol Registered Member

is the waiting for an answer on this matter synonymous for the feature pending indefinitely?

17. agoretsky

Hello,

I do not have any information yet to share.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. vtol

vtol Registered Member

thanks at least for trying, appreciate the effort! it even answers the question...

19. agoretsky

Private message sent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.