Scumware company attacks Ad-aware

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Ann, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann

Ann Registered Member

Scumware company attacks Ad-aware

It has come to our attention that the RadLight 3.03R5.2 (by RadLight)
    software intentionally tries to uninstall Ad-aware components from your system, without your permission or knowledge.

After reports from concerned users, our tests have shown that the Radlight software indeed checks for the default Ad-aware installation path, and then removes all files that are not currently in use, upon its first execution.
    Until now, such a malicious behaviour was commonly known for viruses and trojans.

It does not slip through Ad-watch, or hides from the Ad-aware scanner,
    Radlight is not (yet) targeted by Ad-aware or Ad-watch.

It performs an silent uninstall of the Ad-aware components, including
    desktop shortcuts and startmenu items.

This is not a bug in the RadLight software, it is intentionally uninstalling Ad-aware, with the only purpose to make your system attainable for further malware installation.

And if this wasnt enough, the Radlight software is bundled with WhenU's SaveNow software, a well known data mining company.
    If Ad-watch is running, it will correctly prevent the installation of Savenow.
    If neither Ad-aware or Ad-watch are active, they both will be uninstalled through Radlight upon its first execution.

A fix is in progress, and we feel its necessary to add Radlight to the AAW target list.
    This is malware at its worst.

Update:
    Unlike stated before, also the regular Ad-aware version will be uninstalled
    by Radlight

--------------------
    Ann-Christine Åkerlund
    Team Lavasoft
    bee@lavasoft.de

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

War it is at it seems from this email reply from RadLight:

You gave RadLight permission to uninstall Ad-Aware by accepting its license agreement. Behaviour of Ad-Aware program is totaly unacceptable to us therefore it WILL be removed. If you do not like this you do not have to use RadLight. RadLight is free, YOU haven't gave me any money therefore I do not owe you anything.

You should have donated when it was possible and help us to cease using advertisement clients (which are btw. strictly optional)

Have a RadLight Day

3. discogail

discogail Security Expert

From DAvenger
    RadLight.NET Admin..............

"I as the author of RadLight am sorry for users being scared of word
    "spyware" but I don't feel sorry for any uninstalled copy of
    program whose point is TO KILL. ...............
    As adaware's behaviour was hostile to our bundle, I had to defend...........Blame me, if you can........"
    http://216.194.92.96/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216&sid=520faa7a7beb4ea9ba8da6a484de602b

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

5. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Thanks Paul, but As a RegRun user i was already protected by the File Protection feature of RegRun !

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mickey,

As ever, you are the exception of the rule: one of those few ones who made their system into a fortress  ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.