Scroogle is M A D !!!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by LockBox, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Because that's what discussion forums are for?

I care a lot about privacy. I think that's why it bothers me. Scroogle points the finger at Google when it should be pointing the finger at the government. I mean, fingers should be pointed at anyone with access to information but the problem is that people are so focused on the absolutely wrong thing that it makes it impossible to cipher through the BS and find the actual issues.

The story on their site... people take that seriously. I mean... it's hilarious but it's really sad that people are reading this fictional story and thinking "omg it's all true."

Scroogle uses Google's servers (in the sense that they add load)/ service.
    Scroogle insults Google, says they're evil, spreads BS propaganda as fact (via context.)
    Scroogle gets mad when Google cuts them off.

Honestly, that's a lame business and I'll be happy to see it go.

I've talk to the palemoon dev. He's fine. HE's not after money and at least he offers something. The Iron dev is spreading bs FUD to scare users into viewing the ads on his site, the palemoon dev spends hours removing code and recompiling with optimizations - having done this myself I respect the work.

Not really the point imo. Small infractions are infractions.

Feel free to use Yahoo. Feel free to use Google + Opt out. Feel free to use duck duck go. But Scroogle is just a dedicated proxy that tries to scare users with BS into using it.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Two times in one thread you have admitted to enjoy causing problems just for the fun of it. Why would you want to "bring out the worst in people"?

This post combined with this one would get you kicked off a lot of forums. It says a lot about you and your purpose here.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The way I see it, LockBox, you're going off topic discussing HM and not Scroogle.

4. Hungry Man

lol can't handle differing opinions.

By "the worst in people" I mean that people make up a lot of stuff about Google . Or exaggerate.

Google has issues. Legit issues.

Scroogle still doesn't have much right to complain that they're cut off from Google's servers.

5. LockBox

Pointing out that he is disrupting the thread and basically enjoying it. Admitting so! Thanks for the concern.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

If it's ok for some to say inflammatory things, then it Must be OK for others to point them out !

7. Hungry Man

If I didn't enjoy posting I probably wouldn't be.

Feel free to point it out whenever you like lol

I'd prefer you point it out while responding to my posts but I don't really mind one way or the other.

Anyways, like I said, they're essentially setting up a proxy dedicated to google search and then telling users that Google is a horrible awful company and when Google cuts them off they cry that they're being unfair.

EDIT: If I had a website and someone else was setting up a proxy and saying "Hungry Man is evil so don't go to his website directly!" I'd probably be a bit insulted and cut them off. If they don't want to use my website they don't get to use my website.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is not only complete bollocks, but inflammatory bollocks. You have no real proof apart from some dubious disingenuous bollocks. Honestly, it is all just pure bollocks.

9. Hungry Man

Iron's a separate subject and I think belongs in a separate topic.

I have posted quotes from the Iron Dev talking to Chromium's devs showing that he wants the money from Google adsense. Everything (except for the RLZ, which runs once after installation to let Google know that there was an installation and really has 0 privacy implications and can be disabled in Liniux) that Iron provides can be achieved with 30 seconds of tweaking Chrome's privacy settings.

Really, if you want to learn about Chromium privacy just email the Chromium privacy team.

10. Daveski17

Hearsay & unsupported which may have been taken out of context. From what I could see, essentially you could hermeneutically read it how you wished. As I stated ~ bollocks.

Maybe if you are a software engineer or know what to look for. Why can't you completely uninstall Chrome? Why does the RLZ run at all?

Iron's just another fork. It still runs better than Chrome for me. Although I will admit Chrome is normally more stable. You really need to get over this Google obsession bollocks. It can't be healthy. Drink some real ale or something.

11. Hungry Man

I don't really see how you can read it any other way than "I want money" since that's what he flat out says but ok.

I'm not sure. I will try to uninstall Chrome when I get home and I'll let you know then when I can see what' sleft over.

RLZ lets them track installations and get an idea of how many people are using their product.

12. Daveski17

The trouble with text (as opposed to speech) is that it is not always easy to interpret. In my experience, the Germans have an odd sense of humour that isn't always literal. It's not unlike in my country where literally minded southerners often misunderstand the odd offbeat humour of us northeners.

OK, I imagine it leaves a profile folder of some sort.

Ermm ... OK, that doesn't sound that sinister ...

13. Hungry Man

Probably something in the AppData folder. Loads of software leave things here because it takes up so little room and upon reinstallation you'll get your profile back. Firefox leaves a "Mozilla" folder, Java leaves a folder, just about every program will.

I thought you meant it was leaving startup entries or executables behind.

Anyway, it's a bit OT. What he said is a matter of interpretation as with all things. I interpret it one way but perhaps he was being sarcastic. I couple my interpretation of what he says with what I see him adding to his fork and I draw my own bias conclusion based on how I weigh it all.

EDIT: I'm all for forks though. I thought the rockmelt fork was pretty cool, it definitely added a lot to the browser and I can see it as being very useful for users who are into social networking. Chrome+ used to have a lot of unique features but I haven't kept up.

14. Daveski17

Yes, I know about the AppData folder. You can of course make a completely clean install of Fx. You have the choice. That's the difference.

I honestly don't know.

As I have.

I wasn't overly impressed with PaleMoon when I tried it, but to be fair, I wasn't overly impressed with Firefox 3/3.6.

I haven't looked at Rockmelt. It doesn't appeal to me to be honest. I tried Flock once (Gecko) & came to the conclusion that it was another word beginning with 'f' & ending with 'ck' LOL!

I had a hell of a time just uninstalling it.

15. Hungry Man

Palemoon is nice if you have a modern PC that uses SSE instruction sets. These instructions can, in the right situation, add some significant speed improvements. This is really noticeable in some areas and virtually undetectable in others.

Still, it's entirely legitimate to recompile software to make use of these. I did this for PCSX2, which is a much heavier program and will make definitive use of these optimizations.
    Like I'd said, I've talked to the dev before (must've been over a year ago now) and I think the project is legitimate. Instruction sets do have definitive performance improvements.

I've had similar experiences. Rockmelt definitely doesn't appeal to me since I don't like social networking much and prefer to just talk via IM, phone, or in person... no weird status updates about my day, I find those to be really silly.

16. Daveski17

I tried it on my three year old notebook when I didn't have Firefox installed (I believe that there can be folder appropriation conflicts or something if you try to run both). It looked OK, it was just too much like Fx 3.6 for me.

I don't doubt its legitimacy, I just didn't find it much different to Firefox.

Yeah, definitely.

17. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

If you ever want to switch from Scroogle then StartPage is your best bet! StartPage uses their servers to fetch results from Google servers!

Get Firefox StartPage Search Plugin!

Or add the to any other browser!

What Makes Startpage Special

Startpage Protects Your Privacy!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  18. Daveski17

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Can anyone seriously tell me what advantages this have over Google HTTPS? Don't give me the "I hate Google just because" argument.

20. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

duckduckgo SSL is another good alternative.

Here are some examples for you! the first link should explain everything for you.

http://donttrack.us/

https://startpage.com/eng/aboutstartpage/

does NOT record your IP address!
    does not share your personal information with any third party

ect

21. Hungry Man

If you use https://encrypted.google.com ads won't see referral data and neither will the site, just Google.

If you use IBA Opt Out they won't either.

(Oh, and you can use adblock plus for DNT I guess)

22. LockBox

The ixQuick family continues to grow. I'm not sure of the difference between ixQuick, StartPage and Startingpage; but here's what they have to say:

With the release of Startingpage in the Fall of 2010, Ixquick now offers total search privacy protection under three popular brand names:

* Ixquick: Powerful metasearch results in 18 languages since 1998
    * Startpage: Metasearch with an easy-to-remember name for the English-speaking market
    * Startingpage: Privacy-protected Google Web search results

All three brands feature the full privacy provisions of Ixquick, the world's most private search engine, and are popular with a growing number of privacy-aware Internet users.

Privacy:

Startingpage has the industry's leading Privacy Policy:

No recording of users' IP addresses.
    No identifying cookies.
    No collection of personal data.
    No sharing personal data with third parties.
    Offering secure, encrypted connections (HTTPS/SSL)
    And a free proxy service that allows anonymous browsing of websites.

Further details can be found on our Privacy Page.

From: https://startingpage.com/eng/company-background.html

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Already opted-out and blocked all third parties, but I see your point.

24. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Here are the differences in the 3.

Starting Page

Ixquick
    Start Page

As far as I can tell Start Page is the same thing as Starting Page.

Startingpage,ixquick,Startpage do not log your IP they do not keep track of what you are searching for unlike Google that is the difference. If you dont mind Google making a big database of what you search for then Startingpage etc do not offer you anything really

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.