ScriptSafe former ScriptNo: Discussion

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by andryou, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Re: ScriptNo: Discussion

I have been experimenting again with ScriptNo in Chrome (16.0.912.77) & it is working well this time. The only problem I have encountered so far is a slight lag of the script count number in the GUI icon. This can also happen when the browser is first launched. This is a minor thing though & soon seems to right itself. Unfortunately this problem is far more prominent in SRWare Iron (16.0.950.0 Developer Build 115000 Windows), so much so that I uninstalled it on Iron. If you can fix this bug in Iron you would make a lot of Iron users very happy I reckon. Anyway, keep up the good work, it is highly appreciated.

EDIT: I uninstalled Quick Earth & ScriptNo is now working as well on Iron as it is on Chrome.

My guess is that Quick Earth was a tad memory hungry.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Daveski17

I have been trying SRWare Iron's own IronPortableZip file version (16.0.950.0 Developer Build 115000 Windows) with ScriptNo & it is working very well. The lagging of the script count number in the GUI icon is not noticeably present.

I only have four extensions on this portable ~ FlashBlock 0.9.31, Lookup Definitions Online 1.0.2, Readability Redux 1.3.4 & of course ScriptNo 1.0.5.52.

The adblocking is from Iron's own .ini file using Fanboy's list.

One thing that I have noticed is that I have to disable ScriptNo in GMX Mail if I wish to open my File Storage.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. Daveski17

I don't know if this is any help in bug hunting, but after visiting my GMX mail account login page ScriptNo finds 6 (sometimes) 5 scripts:

ad-emea.doubleclick.net (2)

secure.addthis.com (2)

www.facebook.com (1)

When I open other pages, especially those with no discernible scripts these sometimes still display as running on the GUI icon. This doesn't happen every time. This happens in Chrome as well as Iron.

I'll post any other oddities as I experiment more. I'm still really impressed with ScriptNo so far. :thumb:

4. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

The current version 1.0.5.52 came out early Dec. 2011 and up until then, releases were a lot more frequent. Anything new on the horizon?

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's due for an update... WebRequest is stable now. Experimental version should be stable as well.

According to his twitter feed "Expect a new ScriptNo release this week with syncing, more reliability/speed, and more features!"

That was Feb 14th.

6. andryou

andryou Registered Member

v1.0.6.0 was released just a few hours ago :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpbfijlflahbdbdgdf

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Yes. The interface alone deserves a prize.

8. Daveski17

9. Daveski17

Yes definitely, if only NoScript itself was as easy to figure out! ;)

10. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, that's a bit unfair. You forgot that Noscript has a lot of features (regarding plugins, https, ABE etc.) which ScriptNo hasn't (yet). I doubt that one site for the inerface would be sufficient if it had them.

11. Daveski17

Well, I think I was joking a bit. I don't want to tread on any fanboy toes but it took me a while to figure out NoScript. I just think that ScriptNo's interface is well designed & a tad less esoteric than NoScript's. It's a bit pointless to compare them too closely IMO. I just think that out of all of the NoScript clones for Chromium/WebKit browsers, ScriptNo is the best (& easiest to use) so far.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Thanks for the update, Andy :thumb:

However, I had one problem with Chrome Dev. 19 today. I went to Youtube but no video would play. Well, I hadn't whitelisted Youtube in ScriptNo yet - but the funny thing was: ScriptNo said something like "no domain to block" or "nothing to block" (can't remember the exact wording) and, indeed, no domain showed up in the ScriptNo window. Rather, the javascript button in the address bar said that javascript for that site was not allowed - although I have enabled javascript in the browser settings by default (why does the javascript button appear at all then?). After allowing JS via the javascript button and reloading the site I was able to whitelist it in ScriptNo. Since I've chosen click-to-play for plugins I had to allow flash separately. After doing this everything worked fine.

Thus, it seems that ScriptNo doesn't always play nicely together with the Chrome scripting management. Perhaps it has something to do with click-to-play?

13. Hungry Man

Excellent - moving to the stable now.

Gonna do some testing.

edit: I still have a slowdown on Wilders.

I typically "ctrl + click" on links to open them in the background as a new tab and just do that for each forum section that interests me. Without ScriptNo this goes very smoothly. With ScriptNo I get a "pause" after I click each link and I'm unable to click another link for a moment/ it sorta just locks up for a brief time - it's a very short stutter.

I haven't observed this on any other site though. It happens even when I whitelist Wilders.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  14. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

15. Hungry Man

Any plans for new features in upcoming versions?

16. andryou

Bug fixes in the short term and in the "medium" term: translation support. And as always: reliable, light-weight, and consistent blocking :)

What OS are you using? I saw your post about the brief pause when opening multiple tabs.

17. Hungry Man

Windows 8. It's only when ScriptNo is installed. I can check to see if it happens on Windows 7 if you'd like.

It's both on Canary and Stable and Beta as well.

EDIT: And if you have a site whielisted will social widgets still be blocked?

18. andryou

v1.0.6.1 released: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpbfijlflahbdbdgdf

Saturday, February 18, 2012
    - addresses issues 64, 66, 72, and 73
    - able to set custom referrer values now
    - added FAQs link to tab popup
    - minor tweaks to Options page and tab popup
    - please check out the updated FAQs page to see if it answers any questions you may have :) (especially playing nicely with other extensions) => http://code.google.com/p/scriptno/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

@Hungry Man: yes please :) I hate bugs (especially the ones that are out of my control). If you have a site whitelisted, social widgets will still be blocked if you have Antisocial Mode enabled.

19. Hungry Man

Excellent. I'll update now and go to my Win7 machine to test.

It doesn't happen on ChromeOS with the latest version so perhaps it's just Win8 being buggy.

20. Hungry Man

Yep, happens in Windows 7. Less so though. On this computer I have very few extensions, maybe that's the difference? With my other computer I have lots.

Edit: It's actually very noticeable on this computer as well.

Interesting that I see absolutely no hit on my ChromeOS computer though, which is a CR48 and wayyyyy less powerful.

21. andryou

Very strange. For sure a factor is the amount of extensions trying to inject their own code into/process each tab.

Just to get more info on your setup: you have Windows, and have you whitelisted wilderssecurity.com?

22. Hungry Man

Yes, this happens whitelisted or not.

23. Bobby98989

Bobby98989 Registered Member

Hey, I really enjoy Chrome and would like to help secure it with ScriptNo, but I'm a little lost on some of the finer points. :oops:

1) Is it possible to see what inline content has been blocked before/without giving it (temporary or permanent) run privileges? This seems... an unwise action on a site that you might not completely trust.

2) Is it possible to grant or deny run privileges to specific scripts (whether inline, or in a file), or does one have to give (temporary or permanent) permissions to the entire (sub)domain?

3) Once a site has been given (temporary or permanent) run privileges can I see a list of the scrips that are now running because of those permissions?

4) Are <audio> and <video> tags blockable for security reasons, or is it more of an autoplay annoyance factor?

And maybe, if you're so inclined, it might be useful for a future version to have links to open JS files in a new window so the user can examine it and decide to block or enable it.

Thanks for your time. :)

24. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Latest version is really fast. But i have a question about Chrome prerendering.

I allowed filehippo.com script. Let's say i am entering filehippo through bookmarks. ScriptNo icon shows 2 blocked scripts. If i use omnibox to enter filehippo, it loads page in the background. After hitting enter, i can reach the page instantly, but i don't see any blocked script on ScriptNo menu (and i don't see the adblock plus button neither). I can see 2 blocked script again if i refresh the page.

Are scripts leaking when loading pages with prerendering feature? And are you sure?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  25. Bobby98989

Bobby98989 Registered Member

Pandorax, I've noticed some of the same behavior as you, although I didn't do nearly enough testing. I went to Ars technica and saw the news carousel cycling. I assumed that script numbers weren't displaying and one JS still running because I had just installed the extension.

Now I wonder...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.