Screen freezes whilst recovering from bood CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Stefan Haas, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Haas

Stefan Haas Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have to do a complete recover of my HD. I have sepperated the HD into two partions. C is the progam partion and D is where I have sored my user data and a backup image.
    Now, if I start the PC with the boot disk the system freezes when I select the image to recover. I can check the image and it is all right but it will bot start the recovery. After a few minutes the mouse disappeard and nothing happens then (even if I wait for an hour or so). I have tried all different settings but no success.
    Can someone please help me?

Best Regards
    Stefan

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Stefan,

Firstly, please let us know which version and build number of True Image that you used to create the bootable rescue CD.

Regards

3. Stefan Haas

Stefan Haas Registered Member

It is True Image Version 7. It was on a computer magazine CD called "Chip".
    Unfortunatly I can not say more because after I have tried to recover my PC I can not start Windows anymore.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Stefan,

I'm not sure whether you are aware that TI cannot restore a partition that holds the image you are trying to restore from. Therefore, even if everything had been o.k. you would only have been able to restore your C: partition, not the complete disk image.

Normally, as part of the restore process, TI deletes the existing partition(s) on the destination drive before continueing the actual restore. As the process froze immediatley after you selected the image, you may be lucky and find that the partitions are still there. Therefore, Although Windows won't boot, are you still able to see your C: and D: partitions (and hence the image) after booting from the Acronis rescue CD? If so then you probably still have a "good" image and I suggest you do the following:

1a. Boot into the Windows Recovery Consol via a genuine Windows XP installation CD and issue the command fixmbr. If you don't have access to a Windows XP installation CD then use another computer to download the mbrautowrite_en.exe file and create a mbrautowrite bootable floppy disk as detailed in the Acronis Support thread titled <Please Read Before You Post>. Boot the original computer from this floppy and use it to write a new MBR to your system disk.

If that didn't allow you to boot into Windows then ...

1.b Boot from a genuine Windows installation CD and carry out a "Repair" reinstallation of Windows as detailed in this Microsoft article titled <How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP>

2. If you can now boot into Windows again, download and install the free trial version of True Image 9.0 Home. You will need to uninstall your previous version of TI before installing the latest build. However, if were still unable to boot into Windows then you will need to temporarily install the free trial version of TI onto a different computer.

3. Use the trial version of TI 9.0 to create a new bootable rescue CD. This will contain more and better Linux device drivers, which may well overcome the original problem.

4. Boot your computer from the new rescue CD, select the option to validate the image as part of the restore (actually, I'm not sure whether the trail version rescue CD can validate the image o_O) and then try to restore your original C: partition.

With luck and a bit of fair wind, you should be back where you were before you encountered the problem. If so, and you are still interested in True Image, then you will need to purchase the full retail version of TI 9.0 Home (I'm unsure whether your original "freebie" version of TI 7.0 qualifies for the "upgrade" purchase). Remember to uninstall any previous version/build (including the free trial version) via Windows Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs before installing the latest full version and then create a new, fully functional, Acronis rescue CD.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As far as I understand you use the so-called Personal version of Acronis True Image 7.0 which is distributed with a number of computer magazines and has limited functionality. Moreover, Acronis True Image 7.0 is quite old version and therefore may not support some modern hardware. By the way, that is the most probable reason for the problem you encounter.

Could you please do the following?

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using Acronis True Image 7.0 Personal and press 'F11' key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears;

- After you get the 'Linux Kernel Settings' prompt, please modify it in the following way: quiet acpi=off noapic

- Press on the 'OK' button and wait until the program graphical interface will load;

- Try to restore the image once again.

If that does help and the system still freezes during the image restoration process then please follow the instructions provided by Menorcaman. Additionally, I would also like to clarify several points:

- Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for a wide varietly of modern hardware devices. In other words, it is hardware independent. Thus, you can temporarily install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home on any other computer in order to create Bootable Rescue CD;

- Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home can only restore backups. It does not allow validating them. However, you still can validate backups when the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows;

- Having the serial number for Acronis True Image 7.0 Personal you are eligible for purchasing the upgrade to Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (the full version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home at a reduced price). If you are satisfied with the work of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home free trial version then please visit upgrade section of Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page helpful.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created with the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Let us know when your system freezes exactly.

Then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Provide the sysinfo.txt file and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.