Screen flickers menacingly. How to investigate generally?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by __Nikopol, Jul 29, 2018.

1. __Nikopol

__Nikopol Registered Member

Hi

Let's say THEORETICALLY: A while back I took notice about an odd behavior. In random intervals, hours in between, my screen goes white for a split-second. One time it even minimized a windows I had open.

Is there any way to log this behavior? To find out - without brute-force - what the culprit is?
    I want to see what program called for this "screen-update" or whatever it actually is. (I have no clue. A handle?) Could I do that with Process Monitor, for example? That program shows many things. Is this one of them? I'd say no.
    I guess this question is more the guy that is kind of forensically observing his Operating System.

How would you investigate such a thing on a basic level?

:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. itman

itman Registered Member

I would start by ruling out monitor or graphic card issues.

Make sure all your monitor connections are securely fastened. Then check the connection from the monitor to your PC. Then insure the monitor is securely plugged into your power source. If the power source is a surge protector setup, etc., plug the monitor directly into the wall outlet.

If the problem persists, swap the monitor with another one.

If the problem persists, open up device manager and verify both the monitor and the graphics card show with no warnings associated with them.

If the problem persists, reinstall your graphics driver.

3. __Nikopol

Apart from hardware issues I meant.
    Hm... are there some handles that software can call or something like that?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

https://www.file.net/process/bginfo.exe.html
    "What is BGInfo EXE?
    The genuine Bginfo.exe file is a software component of Sysinternals BGInfo by Microsoft. Bginfo.exe is an executable file that runs Sysinternals BGInfo, a tool that let users display system information on the desktop background. This is not a critical Windows component and should be removed if known to cause problems."

5. __Nikopol

Did you write that for the general public? ... I think I have to rephrase things...

EDIT:
    I totally rephrased the OT. Please read again. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.