Screeching Speakers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by n8chavez, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I hope someone can help me here. I bought a set of 1.2 Klipsch speakers about a month ago and everything was working perfectly fine until today when I turn the volume really loud. Previously I have never turned them above 25% or so, because they are just that loud. But today I turned them around 40% and they started making loud constant high-pitched screeching sound, sort of like microphone or amp feedback. Below that they are still fine. I don't know what to do, if anything, or even if they are bad speakers or if it's system related. Obviously it's volume related, because I can turn the speakers up as long as the Windows volume is lowered. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably the Integrated audio chip sucks? :p
    Try getting a Audio card to see if things change, if not it could also be the own speakers or the wiring? Could also be interference from things like cellphones etc.

Don't know man, i'm not an expert in this :D

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, if you do have a Mic connected it could indeed be feedback.

Check your Audio/Sound control panel, and see which inputs are enabled, and the levels. Disable ALL of them, and then selectively enable each one and raise the level right up.

After this ONLY select the input/s you use, and appropiate levels.

If you don't find the culprit there, let us know for a rethink ;)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Well, that's what I would do. :)

You may getting distortion from your sound card. Are those computer speakers or just regular bookshelf speakers?

Did you try them with another computer?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i think they are bad/faulty. can you return them ?

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate that very much. I must admit, I know software very well but I often require the aid of others for hardware issues. I have solved this particular issue.

CloneRanger - You were right. It was a microphone issue. Once I removed that device everything worked perfectly. Obviously at loud volumes I there was still audio distortion, but that's to be expected. The shriek was gone though, so thanks for that advice. I owe you a beer.

I have a dedicated sound card and was afraid it was the speakers, but gladly it's not, as they are much more expensive.

Thanks all.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@n8chavez

Hi, sorry i didn't respond earlier, somehow missed your reply :( Anyway the good news is that you're Screech free now at last :thumb:

It's nice to be right sometimes :D

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.