Scheduling of Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 62cwil, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

When I set up my scheduling I set for 1:00AM on both image backup every two weeks and 2:00AM every week on Full Backups. Both were different days. In going back and editing I note both have changed back to the time originally in the program and to PM. Can anyone tell me how to solve.

Also, do you put your image files and full backups in the same directory. Right now I have images going to My Backup and Full Backups to My Computer Backup. I can not figure out how to tell an image backup from a Full Backup. Any guidance is appreciated. In other words how do you distinguish and name files and do you create new backup or add to existing. I think once I figure this out I will be ok, but right now am not quite sure enough that I feel secure that things are working well.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

I appreciate any help I can get. The instructions do not address. Also, a followup question. On the schedule page mine says reschedule page in the middle just to the right of the bottom selection which I think is monthly it has a box that says Resultant Schedule: I note in the example in the manual it gives a date and time. Mine says "Error- Incorrect Reptetion. For my full backup I go every two weeks and selected weekly and then said run every weeks. On my image I run every other week and I selected weekly and changed the number in the drop down box to 2

3. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

I see lot's of experts out there. Please try and give an answer so I can at least try something. I am one who tries everything until I figure out and on this one I am at my wits end.

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Which version of Acronis TI are you using?

ATI 2009 no longer allows you to do automated full backups in the way earlier verions used to do. Acronis now uses a consolidation method which does NOT allow for Full daily backups or several Full backups. Full backups get over written.

Have a look at the recent posts on the Wish List thread and posts about backup schemes.

Backup names endings change so each time an incremental backup is done a number is added. So the Full backup will usually be the largest in size and have no number, then the first incremental has the same name but a 1 at the end.

You can see an example of this on page 87 of the latest pdf manual. You will also notice from the screen shot in the manual that Acronis tells you what kind of backup the tib file is as it keeps a meta file of all backups.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 62cwil,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

If you want to have a new full backup created every time a scheduled task is run, so that there will be several full backups instead of one, you can use the following batch file

This batch file renames a specified file, so that a new file with the same name will not overwrite it. If you schedule a task that regularly creates a full backup, you may use Acronis True Image pre/post commands or Windows Scheduled Task Wizard to run this batch file before or after the backup process.

You should do the following to prevent Acronis True Image from overwriting a full backup under a scheduled task:

- Download rename_backup.bat
    - Edit the file in Notepad or another word processor;
    - Follow the instructions provided in the file to modify its contents according to the parameters of the task you scheduled in Acronis True Image;
    - Use Acronis True Image pre/post commands or Windows Scheduler Task Manager (in Windows XP: Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task) to run the batch file before the backup process starts or after it is finished (thus, either renaming the previous backup or the newly created one).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

And you don't consider it a problem that the renamed file will not be known to TIH 2009's centralized tib-file management?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Try to use workaround suggested by Vlad V:

The latest build of ATIH 2009 allows you to get what you want, though the solution is not obvious. Here's how:

1) At the "Backup method" step choose either "Incremental" or "Differential" method, select the "Create a new full backup after" checkbox and set "0" (zero) in the number of backups field. This will result in creating only full backups, but, in addition, will enable the "Automatic consolidation" step (disabled for the "Full" backup method), which will be needed for ensuring automatic deletion of the oldest backup.
    2) At the "Automatic consolidation" step select the "Number of backups exceeds" checkbox and set a limit of 4 backups.
    The program will create 4 full backups, then on the 5th run it will create a fifth backup thus exceeding the limit set on the number of backups. ATIH can't consolidate full backups, so it will simply delete the oldest one. This procedure will be repeated during the next task run, etc.
    P.S. You must have space for at least 5 fulls. If there is not enough room for the 5th backup, the task run will be aborted, and the program will neither create a new backup, nor delete the oldest one.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.