schedule a backup to overwrite previous file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bdee1, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdee1

bdee1 Registered Member

i would like to schedule a task that will do a full disk image of my C drive every weekend and overwite the one from the previous weekend. i can't find the option to do this in acronis.

there is the option to do a full, incremental or differential but i don't see any options to overwrite. as it is now, i have to go to the backup location every couple weeks when the disk gets full and manually delete previous weeks images.

any ideas?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Set up a scheduled task without using backup locations that uses a file name of your choosing. For example: mylaptop.tib. Set the schedule to run weekly and choose the option to create a full backup. The backup location feature doesn't seem to work properly for everyone.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thomasjk described what to do, but I'd make a slight modification if you have sufficient space where you are saving your image. Make two images each two weeks apart. That way, if something happens which corrupts your system and your latest image is useless, you have an older (aged) image to restore.

On one system which has lots of space for backups, I make an image every Saturday using first, second, third fourth and last week so that I always have four backups just in case.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bdee1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that if you schedule a task to create a full backup every weekend, it will overwrite the previous one automatically. However, it can lead to a situation where you have no backups at all (in case creating a new one fails, and the old one was already deleted). Therefore, we recommend you to use Acronis Backup Location set to keep 1 backup. This way, old backup will be deleted after the successful creation of the new one. Please see chapter 7 "Backup location management" of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for detailed instructions.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This will always overwrite instead of only overwriting when needed. The Backup Locations are certainly worth trying -- they're the best feature of ATI10.

IF you make a Backup Location you can specify limits on mumber or size fo backups. Then make a task uses that Backup Location and ATI will take care of it automatically. If, in the rare case, Backup Locations doesn't work for some reason, then you probably have a bad install or a confounded win registry and uninstall/reinstall usually takes care of either prob.

sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.