scenario 'vista+xp'

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by xpsetup, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsetup

xpsetup Registered Member

festplatten manager 2009 suite;
    scenario: 'Vista+XP', the xp-setup starts to run but there is no screen to choose the partition D. So compatibility check fails, error line 'shutdown, repeat, then look for virus'. Maybe an F-key to interrupt setup.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi xpsetup,

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to install a new o/s?

Please indicate the steps you went through.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. xpsetup

im trying indeed.

simply inserting the xp-cd and switch on the notebook leads to error as below.

steps taken were: i followed the steps of the scenario 'vista + xp' according to manual. details below. relevant step was inserting the xp-cd, it loads every file one can think of and decides to shut down windows, quote:' ..windows wurde heruntergefahren..'

the prompting indicates a configuration-problem by excluding other, that is: new installed or malfunct hd-hardware, malware.

detail: insert xp-cd, on, 'any key', y, 'checks configuration', bluescreen 'windows setup, loading', bluescreen 'problem, win shutdown, restart, repeat, if same error: check for virus, remove all newinstalled hd an hd-controller, configure hd properly, CHKDSK/ F run and restart, stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)', restart, 'as above'.

vista, hd-manager-mainscreen, complex partitioning, installing new os, use existing primary partition, 'choose partition', D (primary, 90GB, NTFS, empty, vistapartitioned from 150GB to 90GB), 'name os', xp, 'execute changes?', yes, 'suppress thislike prompting?' (dialogbox), no, 'insert xp-cd', insert xp-cd, error as above, deviation from manual (which sees a problem coming, adressing xp to the proper partition): the screen with the partition-list to choose a partition didnt appear (this problem is maybe different from the configuration-problem and the screen may occur one step after stop).

an acer-partition exists, which may not contribute to the problem.

under pe (driveletters *,C,D,Q changed, D to E, Q to D, which is rather a consequence of the vistapartitioning because D became a logic container Q and the freespace became a primary partition D (when Q is misread D, D will probably be read E); the usb-stick under vista though reads like vista *,C,D,Q).

programwizards (all translation, the german menu reads Programmassistenten), extended, install new os, continue, use existing primary partition, continue, 'choose partition', XP(E:), continue, 'format?' not yes, continue, 'name os', xp, continue, 'insert xp-cd', insert xp-cd, finish, execute, 'execute now?', yes 'message not again?', not yes, any key, usw. error detto.

to get absolutely shure i tried CHKDSK/F about hardware: vista (administrator, sole user and owner), command line, 'C:\Windows\system32>', CHKDSK/F with a rather surprising denial, i would have to run the program with 'erhöhten Rechten' somewhat extendend rights (rights possibly extendable in the vista-settings).

steps taken: vista save modus with command line (ms-dos prompt), 'administrator cmd.exe', CHKDSK /F, 'cannot be executed because volume C in use, volume check at next start J/N?', J, 'will be checked', restart, CHKDSK ran but on C, resultscreen vanished too fast (presumably F-key), vista started.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

As you can boot into Vista , please post a screen shot of the Disk Management window.

Thanks.

5. xpsetup

screenshot enclosed

Attached Files:

6. xpsetup

serious?

7. xpsetup

delay is unexpectedly high, you may have encountered a problem or simply no time.

what are your considerations?

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There is a long public holiday in the U.S.

Paragon staff should be back on the forum on Monday or Tuesday.

I am sure they will answer then.

The partitions look ok to me.

XP is before my time - I understand it has trouble recognizing drives above a certain size.

I believe recent service packs addressed that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Hope it helps

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  9. xpsetup

good news so far, the service pack is 3, copyright 2008, imprinted on the xp-cd, seems to be most recent.

furthermore we have a definitive result, the hd-parameter size is rejected. i clicked the link it refers to sp1 and offers none later than sp3.

how to proceed?

10. xpsetup

virtual computer 2007 worked, xp installed that way. it was extremely easy, so far.

the xp-cd is proven healthy, furthermore the setup.exe adressed sucessfully a 16GB virtual-hd.

asked for is your advice for the dual-boot configuration because i cant see the steps to take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.