Scanning U3 Smart USB thumb drive.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Foxdie, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxdie

Foxdie Registered Member

Every time I try scanning with ESET beta on a 1GB Toshiba U3 Drive, it some turns off Wireless net connection for a split second and then proceeds to crash ESET.

Anyone else have a similar problem like this?

Cheers in advance

Fox

2. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

I can vouch that it does have to do with the u3 software and ESS as my SanDisk U3 drive without the U3 Software on it scans fine.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you please explain how to reproduce the problem, step-by-step?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. Foxdie

Foxdie Registered Member

I can try.

System, Pentium Core 2 Duo, 3GB ram running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. Using a wireless D-Link card to access D-Link router. Uses native drivers that come with Vista.

Plug in U3 Drive. (Contains known virus / malware / worms. Not sure which, but threats are evident on drive.)
    Opening up ESET and going to scan
    Running custom scan of Drive L: (when you place in a U3 Drive it takes 2 drive letters one is used a AUTO play disc so it fudges the computer into thinking it is a cd Rom drive, and then the second drive is the data drive where all your information is contained.
    Scans to about 11-14%
    Wireless connection cuts out.
    Windows produces error that ESET has crashed and would you like to send report
    ESET appears to be still in System tray but is unresponsive.

Just as another observation, when you are watching the progress of the files to being examined, it appears to be crashing as it searches through the folders that normally contain all the program files for any installed apps. It never gets to a point where it is searching files that stores my documents.

Apps installed on U3 drive are as follows:
    Firefox for U3
    Thunderbird for U3
    Openoffice.org for U3
    Foxit Reader for U3
    Trillian for U3
    Avast Antivirus for U3

Hope that helps.

Fox

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Personally, I hate the U3 drivers and the first thing I do when I buy one is to use the U3 uninstaller to wipe it clean and convert it to a normal USB drive.

Then, you can install portable apps to your USB, including Firefox, Thunderbird, even OpeOffice etc. And you should have no problems with any AV scanning.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.