Scanning SSL Mail

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by rogervernon, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Yes - I know that the vast majority of AV products are not able to scan SSL, such as Gmail.
    KIS does, though - so if they can ,why cannot Eset products achieve this?

The configuration hoops to be jumped through to set up Stunnell & SSL on a PC could surely be incorporated in the set up for either the AV, V3, or ESS - or am I missing something.

I must say that if Eset were to make their products scan SSL - even if it meant natively installing a wrapper such as stunnel, it would make me a sure customer.

Yes, I know that the AV will/should catch malware on execution, but I still prefer "on the fly" scanning - even with Gmail's SSL connections!

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

My ISP was kind enough to institute SSL Email also. I had no choice except to accept. I too would also appreciate a feature like this.

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

SSL or TSL can not be scanned buy any AV. Kaspersky is doing so by hacking the SSL connection, or in other words Kaspersky is replacing the requested security certificate with a self-signed certificate. Problem is, that you can not verify anymore if the email is genious or not, this can sometimes result in problems with MUI's. So the whole sence of SSL is going to hell :)

The only correct solution is to install stunnel and let your MUI request and send emails via stunnel. NOD will than scan the local decrypted transfer between stunnel and your MUI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.