Scanning for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ritalaxman, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ritalaxman

ritalaxman Registered Member

I am running Windows 98 SE (IE 6) and each time, I boot, I get the following message :

there may be some errors on drive c. Scan for windows.

How do I scan for windows. I have used scandisk, but there does not seem to be any problem. I do not know what to do.

Rita

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Run scandisk in safe mode and repair if required. Could be a problem with the hard drive.

You can go into MSCONFIG\STARTUP tab and uncheck all items. Reboot and see if the problem goes away.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Rita,

I dug up a few articles on this topic that may help you with your problems, have a look.
    aarp.org /bsu.edu /win98 q & a.

And "just because", take a look at these two pages from experts-exchange here, and here.
    Maybe they spark something...

GF

4. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Rital

Maybe u have Athlon CPU & large hard disk eg 40GB ? I face this many times esp w/Seagate hard drives. Running scandisk actually marks sectors as bad
    and it slowly becomes worse ie. after 2-3-4 weeks you better change hard disk due so many bad sectors.

So my advice is - backup all your data & get a new drive if you find even
    one bad sector with scandisk.

If on other hand scandisk in thorough/surface scans doesn't show any bad sectors & you just face this question each time windows starts it maybe either a trojan/malware that marked a cluster as bad, but scandisk normally does not test bad clusters, so it comes out as clean unless you enable registry to test bad clusters (MSKB Q127055 ).

Or maybe a copy protection scheme has marked a sector as bad on hard
    disk(yes some programs do that).

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, Just my 2 cents

SKA

5. ritalaxman

Thanks SKA. I have a PIII original motherboard. I have been having this problem only recently, after I reconfigured drive C. I do not know what to do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rita

6. ritalaxman

Dear Sir,

I am not sure how to address u. Thanks for the homework, it helped a lot. Now the problem has been solved. Could u let me know how to access the site from IE ?

Regards,

Rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.