scandisk problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Rita, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hello
    i have a question i was wondering if anyone could help me with.everytime i try to run scandisk the computer freezes up and i have to pull the plug on it.this just started.now when i pull the plug to shutdowm and when i reboot scandisk doesnt run like before.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    thanks---rita
    i have windows me os

2. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

Hello Ritaann

Here's some things you could try.

Make sure all running programs are shut down before running scandisk. Hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete to check. Make sure only Explorer and Systray are left open.

Sometimes scandisk goes very slow, and may appear to stop, depending how fragmented your drive is before defrag. Having a lot of data on your drive can also slow it's completion time.

Here's something you could check if scandisk does not run after a bad shutdown.

Click start > run > type in 'msconfig'(without the quotes). In 'system configuration utility' select the 'general' tab. Next click the 'advanced' button. Make sure 'disable scandisk after bad shutdown' is not checked.

Also try to remember if you made any changes (like installing new software) just before the problems started.

Hth.

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear ritaann, i use the same OS. its notorious in some ways. try running scandisk from your bootable OS installation CD to fix problems if you have any. its wise not to use too many memory resident programs. if you want help you can show us your autostart log and people here will tell you what to do.

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    how do i get an autostart log.sorry i am so ignorant about computers.i am just beginning to learn about them and have so far to go lol.how do i get the log and post it. ill do anything i can to resolve this problem
    thanks so much
    Rita

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Rita

Look at the link for suggestions. Great info on scandisk.

scandisk

If you constantly have problems with ScanDisk not completing its run, try rebooting Windows in Safe mode and running ScanDisk from there (restart Windows, then press F8 when you see the words "Starting Windows 95" appear; with Win 98/ME, restart Windows and immediately press and hold the Ctrl key until the Startup menu appears). Chances are good that whatever program is interfering with ScanDisk won't load under Safe mode.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Ron
    thank you for the scandisk link.i appreciate it :D

Rita

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hope it helps. :)

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Ron
    the scandisk link did help.i did research and discovered i had tried using a program called power defrag and it wouldnt work or i didnt know how to use it.it was running all the time i found out on startup so i deleted it and my scandisk worked again(taking hours but working)this program called power defrag would supposedly take the place of scandisk and would work better but it didnt or as i said before i was doing it wrong.anyway from the links and doing searches from the link you give me i corrected the prob--thanks so much
    Rita :D

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I was running 98se and wanted to run scandisk I would have to disable my Antivirus or scandisk would freeze. It was really bad when I had norton AV installed. It would freeze because of a lack of ram. The av and scandisk just used to much together.

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear ritaann, sorry for replying late. but looks like you solved your problem. i guess you're not so ignorant after all. way to go.

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi AMRX
    thanks--maybe theres hope for me afterall lol.i love this site--everyone is so helpful--im sure glad to have found it
    many thanks
    Rita :D

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

There is always hope Rita! Sure glad you found your problem. Next time someone needs help with a problem like yours, you will be able to tell them how to fix it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.