Scan times

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by MojoCal, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MojoCal

MojoCal Registered Member

I don't remember exact count but I have over 100,000 files on computer that Norton 2001 used to scan in about 25 to 40 minutes. (Don't remember exact time). I first ran Eset trial a week or so ago, and don't remember how long it took. I think an hour or less, but am not sure. Ran the on demand scanner last night and it was still going at 1 hour 10 minutes, which seems excessive.

It may be my imagination but it seems to slow down when scanning Open Office. It seemed to still be scanning that program when I stopped it. I am running this on a Compaq 6320 with AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHz, with 256 MB DDR SDRAM, and an older version of free Zone alarm (6.0.633.003). Norton used to run okay. I like the Eset since it picked up a few things Norton missed, but this long scan time is a problem. It seems a little slow whether I run the "in depth" scan or the "on demand" scan.

While the scan last night was running, there was an Eset NOD block on my bottom toolbar indicating 19%, which didn't seem to change for 1/2 hour or more. I am guessing that means the scan was 19% complete.

Does anyone have some ideas/ advice? Also, how long should the average scan take? I know all systems different, but is 30 min or 45 min a rough typical figure or what?

2. MojoCal

Two more things. I am running Windows XP. Also I mentioned Zone Alarm in the first post in case there's a chance that Zone Alarm could interfere with Eset.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id suggest u watch the log while NOD32 is scanning and see if theres any files/folders that take a while.

for me, nod32 scans were around 20 minutes. how much used space do u have on your disk?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scan time depends on the number of files you have on the disk and their complexity. If you set NOD32 to scan inside archives, runtime packed files and emulate the code (by means of advanced heuristics) it will take much longer. On the other hand, enabling advanced heuristics and runtime packers will significantly increase detection capabilities.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

you could probably benefit with adding some more ram,256 is boderline with XP when running a few apps,I know MS say otherwise but experience says its a bit too little
    You may also try running the tool from the Symantec website to make sure Norton is completely uninstalled:-can be a bit of a pain to get rid of!
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

For more perspective, my '01 Win Me machine with P3/1K MHz/256 RAM took 35-38 min for 150K files with Everything Checked; My '07 XPSP2 Athlon 64 X2 Dual / 2.2 GHz /2G RAM took 40 min for 535K of Files, Everything Checked. Surely it's a certain "catagory" of something Scan as suggested that's the hold-up.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

other 2 machines not in any way short on memory:-ME will run ok with 128mb(well as ok as ME runs!lol)and other has plenty in hand
    Have you watched the log as its written is the machine stalling on anything in particular?
    Would have thought all things being equal NOD would have scanned a lot faster than Norton!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  8. handinglove

handinglove Registered Member

Hi there,

I’m also running NOD32, ZA Pro and OpenOffice.org on my Windows XP laptop and I happen to have reported a very similar issue a few months ago (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147738 ). In spite of the lack of support I received back then (people seem to be more keen in praising/marketing the product here than actually acknowledging real issues), I think it is reasonable to ascribe the problem to some sort of conflict between NOD32 and OpenOffice.org. I’m also experiencing scanning times of over 2h30min (1Gb RAM) and from what I could tell, this may be due to a .TAR archive in the Oo_O package NOD32 can’t tackle with, consistently reporting it as corrupted (C:\Programas\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib\test\testtar.tar »TAR - archive damaged ). Most of the hanging during the scan of my ~60000 files occurred while NOD32 was going through the System Restore folder (with a large proportion of CPU resources being drained by the program on its way), so I figured disabling it would help. When I did so, thorough scanning times went down to ~1hour, which is about the same time NOD32 required to go through my hard drive when I uninstalled Oo_O. Why NOD32 fails to recognize a normal archive of a perfectly functional program is still a mystery to me. I hope this might help!
    Meanwhile, let me know how you’re doing.

Cheers

9. MojoCal

Thanks for all the input. I took Handinglove's info on Open Office and decided to delete Open Office from computer. Scan then went to 92% after 1 hour, better than before so seems like he was right that NOD cannot scan Open Office. So I guess I wait to install OO until future NOD update.

Other question I had was if there was a way to see how many files NOD has scanned, rather than the % at the bottom of the screen. This is not a biggie, just curious.
    Also, is there a way to exclude certain programs or folders from the scan. If I could exclude OO then I could re-install it for now.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Not at this stage, it has been asked for though...

Cheers :D

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I also think it's a bit long. I remember the last time I ran an In-Depth Scan, it took about 45min. to scan 335.000 files, not to mention it was performed under a P4 2Ghz with 384mb ram (XP Home SP2).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.