Scan Freezing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Atomsk, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomsk

Atomsk Registered Member

I recently got ESET Smart Security to replace my previous one, which was rather slow and expired anyhow and I've read that ESET tends to have rather fast scan times. I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition if that means anything. I try and initiate a smart scan and it seems to hiccup rather often. Like, it's doing it thing then it freezes up, and freezes any other program I was using up, but continues on its way for a little bit. At 59%, 44716 scanned objects in, it freezes up almost completely. I'm unable to use any program I was using at the time until I can get the scan cancelled, which takes a while to initiate, and even longer to finally go through so things go back to normal. Right now, I'd be happy just to be able to complete an entire scan without everything freezing over, regardless if it takes six hours to complete.

2. Atomsk

Atomsk Registered Member

Right now it seems the freezing starts in the C:\Program Files\DVD Maker\ and is also where it totally freezes up. I managed to get it paused on C:\Program Files\DVD Maker\Shared\DvdStyles\Full\dotsdarkoverlay.png after a lot of freezing.

3. Atomsk

Atomsk Registered Member

I just tried a MalwareBytes scan and it froze up at the same point. I'm not really sure what's going on in it that is causing the trouble. This problem just started up very recently, when I first tried to start a scan with ESET actually. I don't know if it was ESET thinking it is messed up and freezes, but I don't see why MalwareBytes is freezing everything up, too. It did scans before smoothly and is just now freezing up on the C:\Program Files\DVD Maker\ area.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

run chkdsk to check hd

5. Atomsk

Atomsk Registered Member

I did the Check Disk scan and it found bad files where ESET and MalwareBytes were freezing up. I retried a scan on ESET it went through without a hitch. Thank you Cudni :)

Oh, and if I may say, I'm rather surprised how fast this scan completed. My last antivirus took up to six hours, if not even longer, to complete a scan. I did the smart scan on ESET and it got done in 33 minutes 45 seconds :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.