Scamware.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by encus, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. encus

encus Registered Member

Hello Eset.

Does ESS 6 detect and remove scamware (like pop up notification made by unknown while browsing, saying that your computer is infected with virus and asks you to download fake anti virus software, which turns out to be just a scam effort) ? What about v4 & v5?

A long time ago when I was still using early build of ESS 3, I was attacked by this scamware but ESS 3 didn't block it which caused BSOD on my computer and left nothing but to format my computer.

Thank you.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET is actually very good at detecting rogue AVs and detection for new variants is added very quickly. Since the program modules are same for v3/v4/v5/v6, they all offer the same level of malware detection.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello encus!

Popups like that is not made from malware that has got into your PC. It's actually made from the Browser itself, the browser window get's hidden and the the popup aka "windows antivirus 2010 has detected a problem" is showing.

When the above happens the solution is simple, and that is to launch the task manager(or similar tool) and quit the IE process (or whatever browser you use) and the warning will go away, and no harm have been done.

On a side note I can say that this actually happened to me couple of weeks ago. First I was visiting a website using Safari, but it was so incredibly slow..... So I launched IE instead to see if it was going to be any faster.
    But NO it wasn't instead when I visited the site right away I got re-directed to a random site, the IE window got hidden and I saw "Windows Antivirus 2012 has found that your PC is infected". Really I thought :rolleyes: , so I did what I explained above, quitted the IE process and the problem was gone.
    Now that's not what an inexperienced user would have done.

So maybe ESET could add some re-direction protection to the Web Module if possible, so users are better protected against this sort of attacks. :)

4. encus

encus Registered Member

Thank you for your reply Marcos :thumb: .

5. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi SweX.

Regarding my experience I had with ESS 3, I think early build used to have lots of bugs & problems. Anyway, at that moment I didn't do what they told me to do (downloading this fake anti virus), I immediately closed my browser. But when I opened it again, the pop up came out again and I couldn't browse until I hit the download button from them but I still refused to do it, instead I closed my browser, restarted my computer then bam.....I got BSOD!

I really hope the latest version of ESS can overcome this kind of thing.

Thank you for your reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.