SBC\Yahoo DSL Service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anyone on the forums using SBC for an internet provider?
    I have a couple of questions.
    Are you using the software they provide? In other words, are you forced to use the programs they provide?
    Any info would would be nice. They have started offering three megabit download speed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: SBC/Yahoo DSL Service

My nephew in dallas is useing the SBE broadband and he has to use the software to connect to them but you don't have to use their dressed up IE

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Re: SBC/Yahoo DSL Service

Hi ronjor,

I've been using SBC Yahoo at work for almost two years (just upgraded to the 3Mbps service). I uninstalled or disabled the Yahoo apps not long after installing them and have had no problems. After a recent clean install, I never bothered with them. The Windows network connection wizard is sufficient to get you connected.

Nick

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi nick

That's what I wanted to know. The sales people can't understand that you don't really need that software.
    I've had a static connection, a dhcp connection, and I think SBC is a pppoe connection.
    Do you have to log in each time you go online?

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

It's pppoe and you have to login. You can probably automate it to connect at startup, but I prefer to double-click a shortcut to get online.

Nick

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks Nick. Good info.

7. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I have SBC Yahoo DSL, and I didn't use any of their software. I didn't even touch the provided install disk. They have multiple package types, but their standard DSL and DSL Pro offerings are dynamic IP based and use PPPoE. As I recall, they do have a static IP offering but it is part of their business DSL packages and is accordingly quite a bit more expensive.

I use a hardware firewall/router that supports PPPoE signon... most of them do nowdays. If you configure your router to do the signon, then you can treat your PC as just connected to a LAN with 'net access and you won't need any special software at all.

If you don't want to go with the hardware firewall/router/wireless access point method, then you will need some software that can sign you into PPPoE. However, as Nick points out, I'm pretty sure that the latest versions of Windows XP include a PPPoE connection manager as a standard piece of the network connection wizard; although I don't think that older versions of windows have been updated to include PPPoE functionality. If you are using an older version of windows, then you likely will need the PPPoE software included by SBC (which I believe is called "Enternet 300").

All of the rest of the SBC / Yahoo software is entirely optional. It's basically just a customized IE browser and some utilities. It didn't look like anything important to me. You can always log in to the SBC Yahoo website via any standard internet connection, and you don't need any of the customized stuff (although their stuff may streamline the login process or something). I don't really use their SBC Yahoo website much anyway. For email, you can either check it via the SBC Yahoo webmail service, or you can use any standard email program and configure the SMTP/POP3 servers just like you would with any other ISP.

BTW... I also just upgraded to the "DSL Pro" package with 3Mbps down and 384Kbps up. However, I'm really jealous right now of those lucky SOBs in the Verizon network. Verizon just fired up their first Fiber-To-The-Premises (FTTP) deployment in Keller, TX and with their "Fios" service they are offering 5Mbps down / 2Mbps up for $34.95 and 15Mbps down / 2Mbps up for $44.95.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks Alec. My concern was the software.
    With all this info, all I have to do is make a decision.
    The price is right and I am close enough to the office to take full advantage of the speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.