sb 4.75

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

as everyone here at wilders and on the sb forum have been so helpfull to me i though i would see if i could give a lil back so id like to run an idea by you all

iv been downloading and compliling verious host file lists from here and there and adding them to my host list in sb 4.75 and i was wonderin if all thoughs out there that are using sb 4.75 still would like me to post what i have so far so that thay can add them to there host file to

also does anyone know where i can download a few more host files so that i can expand my host file ferther

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Bethrezen - It might be better to let people PM you if they'd like a copy of your expanded 'hosts' file (it's probably too big to add here as a post).

I've found that simply adding S.Martin's hosts file to the SB 4.75 through Hostess is pretty sufficient, and running E. Howes IE_SPYAD list if you're using IE works well.

You have to be careful with just getting your hosts from anywhere (some people have agendas) - it can cause problems with accessing sites you really want/need to go to. Pete

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Although new SB versions keep adding to the hostfile, i agree with Pete thatfor SB 4.75, by using S.Martin host file with Hostess, it is unlikely you will find any more then possibly just a few entries to add to it .

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I wonder why Paul doesn't just incorporate S Martin's HOSTS file to start with? As an option at least?

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Hey, Mike! Just noticed you got yourself a fancy title!

Jealous!

Grr!!

6. Bethrezen

i take ya point about bein careful where ya get ya host files from as people have agendas and i am carefull about this

how ever what i was more thinkin was along the lines of when i made this post was leeting people that are still using sb 4.75 like me have access to the updated host file from sb 5.3 coz i saw a few requests for this when sb 5 came out and i did ask about this at the time but i was told that it would not be considered as 4.75 was no longer surported so i though i would try and help out by doing it my self

whats the adress for S.Martin host file so i can add this to my list to so i will know that what im adding to my host file comes from a reputable sorse as i dont want to inadverntley cause anyone any trouble

7. MickeyTheMan

You will find link : http://pages.infinit.net/carbo1/hostfile.html

8. Bethrezen

hi micky

i went to the link you provided and i couldnt find the entire host file i was only able to find the updates

where do i have to go to find the whole host file

9. claire

claire Guest

10. MickeyTheMan

Yep it's there at Smartin's site.
    Click on download and browse the page. You will find files to download.

11. Bethrezen

hi

is what im lookin for the 127.0.0.1 Zipped entry under the heading

Versions that include all available entries

just wanna make sure ?? i got the rigth thing so i dont mess anythin up

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

That would be the one. (It'll have the largest file-size of any of them.
    Pete

13. Bethrezen

hi thanks

although i just downloaded it and ran in to troubles i cant unzip it it says error creating host

im using pkunzip i also ran in to this trouble when tryin to try out spybot sd it says that it cant crate some of the files requiered any chance of getin sbsd in a exe installer ?? also ran in to thsi trouble with other programs

any sergestions on how to get round this and please dont say use winzip coz iv tryed winzip and i dont like it i only need the unzip bit which is why i like pkunzip its only like 30 k and there is no unnessary fluff i just double click and it does its thing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.