SAS 4.0.1154 RTP & CPU utilization

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Victek, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm noticing that when Real Time Protection is enabled in SAS 4.0.1154 it cycles between 0% and 10% cpu utilization about every second (as observed in the Vista task manager). This is with the system essentially at rest, meaning I'm not downloading or surfing, etc. Is this normal for SAS and if so why?

2. muf

muf Registered Member

I can't vouch for it's performance in Vista but when I run it realtime in Windows XP at idle my system only ever goes to 1% cpu time. But most of the time it is sat at 0%. This is observed over a 2 minute period simply looking at task manager and Process Explorer.

Unless your observation is normal to Vista usage then I suggest to look at other apps you are running to see if they are impacting on SAS. I recommend you close down each of your other realtime apps one by one observing for about two minutes after you close down each one. You may find that with one particular app closed down that your system is not using the amount of cpu you have been observing.

Just a suggestion...

muf

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yes, it's normal for SAS real time protection. On my Vista notebook it only spikes to 2% for a fraction of a second. In any event you can read more about it on the SAS forums.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good idea - I'll try that. I run SAS on XP as well and the spike there is only 2%. I run a little different mix of security apps on XP though so I will need to experiment.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have a look at this post on SAS forums pertaining to version 3.9xx
    http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=782&highlight=

For me the only thing that has changed in real time are that the spikes
    are now down to 5.38% from 15/17% with the previous version.
    All other conditions remain the same, eg. spikes can be completely laid to rest when opening and closing for instance the System Properties Window, but will reappear when updating or right clicking a file to scan.
    I regard this as 'not quite right' despite assurances that everything
    is OK. Since the posts on SAS forums I have only exchanged NOD32 for
    Avira PE Premium as far as security goes.

Edit: I refer to the Windows System Properties in Control Panel.
    (Just r/click My Computer desktop icon>Properties and then close
    the window again. ... no more cpu spikes)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I gave that a try and it didn't make a difference on my system. By the way has being able to easily see the status of real time protection by having the tray-icon change or adding it to the icon tool-tip ever been discussed? It would be nice if it were more obvious whether it's On or Off.

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I can't see any SAS spikes like was mentioned in my Task Manager, and I'm running Windows XP and only 512MB of RAM with Mamutu and AVG 8.0 Internet Security. I'm sure SAS will get to the bottom of this though.

8. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

SAS makes a little blip on my CPU but I think that is something in the program itself. I seen it explained once, forget where or when, but it is nothing to worry about. Just part of how the program works. Nick will be probably by and can explain it.

9. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Wait...see EliteKiller answered it above and pointed to the thread in the SAS forums. I gotta go back to regular caffenaited coffee. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.