Sandboxing

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Davidpr, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

For me Sandboxie is a recovery tool. I know browsers like Firefox and IE can get corrupted, so I only run them inside SB. Privacy for one session before deleting sandbox contents is not the main concern for me but keeping my computer clean. Also it is a bother for me sometimes to operate NoScript, so I just allow all javascript etc. while having a browsing session, but then delete the sandbox afterwards.
    I use Sandboxie also to test firefox extensions, but as told here, not to trust that they are safe to install outside SB, but only to see how they work.

I have not tested SB for installing software and if I would install something like Yahoo Messenger I would install it on trust normally.
    But same time I run my Skype and Trillian always inside Sandboxie. And would run Yahoo too. In fact my Comodo firewall has only rules for Sandboxies Start.exe for starting IE and no normal rule for explorer.exe starting it. Same goes for Trillian too.

It is a bother to run utorrent inside Sandboxie since I am not sharing anything and feel actually sometimes bad for being so selfish. And needs to copy the downloads to a normal location.

2. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Having started this thread I was hoping for a couple of answers to try and understand this better but the response has been really great.

I have installed both Sandboxie and GESWall to try. For me Sandboxie is what I am looking for - added protection for internet use and then when you close the browser it all gets wiped.

I have one really annoying problem though - I am unable touse my laptops mouse pad within the sandbox but it is ok in a non sanboxed session. I have posted this on the Sndboxie forum.

best wishes.

3. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

not sure if a mouse pad does this, but if the mouse pad loads a driver Sandboxie will not support loading drivers. and not being critical, but i am curious, what security do you gain by running your mouse pad sandboxed?

Mike

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

How do you move your cursor in Sandboxie?

I had used Sandboxie without problems running Firefox (my much preferred Browser), but a few sites require IE (with lowest privacy settings).

Whenever I would try Internet Explorer 6 (with the minimal security settings) within Sandboxie, the first symptom of problems would be a failure of my IntelliMouse to respond, the Built-in ALPS Touchpad system would continue to work.

This is a Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse using only the Windows generic drivers that has had no other problems,
    after opening three or four pages within a Sandboxie'd IE, the IntelliMouse would quit.

This would just be the first symptom and problems would progress through slow-down to a frozen system.

On the last run of Sandboxie, the final symptom had been the shutdown of AntiVirus protection.:eek:

System has (and does) function perfectly in every respect with no other symptoms of security problems ever seen.

I was never able to determine why I encountered this issue with Sandboxie and have never seen this reported by others.

The installed Security Applications are listed on my sig below, with BufferZone's {Free for IE} replacing Sandboxie.

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Is this a USB mouse?
    Oh yes, and what other security proggies are u running?

Cheers

6. interact

interact Registered Member

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Sandboxie

Is the best thing since sliced bread,um er malware!
    USE IT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.