Sandboxing

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Davidpr, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What if I combine Sandboxie and DefenseWall, then I have virtualization AND Windows Policies to protect my computer.
    If I add my boot-to-restore, based on the Industrial Snapshot Technology, to both technologies, I have probably the best guarded computer in the world. :rolleyes:

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Right. And I would maintain that the worst one of those - by far - is the stealing of data. That is why a termination resistant firewall with outbound control to restrict everything to selected ports, addresses, direction and protocol is of utmost importance. I can deal far better with malware simply destroying my data than malware stealing my data. As long as data is backed up to external media, and especially if imaging software is used, recovering a blown away h/drive is a relative minor inconvenience compared to the theft of private data.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This is an acknowledged and recognised issue with Sandboxie.
    While in the sandbox browsing, for eg a keylogger or datastripper can operate as long as there is no kernel driver installed ( blocked in sandboxie) and data 'could' be stripped. Any malware that can, will/may run in the current session.
    Less likely with FF and noscript etc etc...

Firewall might be ok as long as config is tight to prevent o/going connection, but many trojans can install as 'trusted' outgoing connections.
    Obviously if the mal requires a reboot to operate/install then not an issue when sandbox emptied after session. PrevX has for me been able to operate in the sandbox to catch any suspicious operations it recognises so far.

Any 'drive-by' type mals that might get past FF or other apps in the sandbox will be stripped out when sandbox emptied.

Obviously DO NOT use any passwords, banking logins, credit card details etc in same sessions as -heh- random browsing.

AFAIK DefenceWall can be set-up to stop this and provide a so far unbreakable barrier and rollback any changes. I dont have any experience of same; not using DW ( not sure why not lol) just from reading here and @Gladiator/DW forum. ( maybe waiting for next version of DW ;) )

I like the "per application" control of Sandboxie and with other tools all good so far. Just knowing potential weaknesses of any app is a boon in itself.

Regards.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Based on my reading of all the PowerShadow,DefenseWall,and assorted sand box and virtualization posts it seems that key loggers are the main concern. While surfing in PS or any other program that protects the system ,you could have data stolen. For me I can crank up PS in my FD-ISR snapshot then enable DW protection and my system will be safe. So what is the best program to ensure that nothing can get any data?

5. ErikAlbert

IMO sandboxes and virtualization, don't recognize evil objects, they only isolate them, just like they isolate good objects.
    How can such softwares recognize malware, do they have signatures, heuristics, etc. ? I don't think so. If they don't recognize them, they can't stop their execution either.

Once the sandbox is closed, the malware is gone of course, but my frozen snapshot does the same thing. That's called recovery, not security.
    Security is supposed to see the difference between good and bad objects.

6. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Yes I agree completely. But while in the sand box, data can be stolen unless there is something so catch it.

7. ErikAlbert

Exactly. Sandboxes and virtualization are good REMOVAL tools for malware, nothing more than that.
    If a good object remains in your sandbox and you don't save it in time, it will disappear with all the rest.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But even still, not all security apps can do that 100 percent. So to me, a good AV, and either Sandboxie or Power Shadow makes the most sense to me. Just started using Power Shadow and really like it.;)

9. ErikAlbert

As a cleaning tool yes, the problem is that Sandboxie, etc. will remove the good objects too, if you don't save them in time.
    A scanner removes only the bad objects, except for false/positives of course.
    My frozen snapshot removes also all changes, good and bad, but only in my system partition (Windows + Applications).

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

What I am doing is manually updating everything then kicking in Power Shadow. I also have Sandboxie, why? I may go a few days before rebooting with Power Shadow. At least this way, any crap that may grab hold during a browsing session is gone as soon as I close Sandboxie. Instead of it being there for a few days until I reboot.. This is working great and about once a week run Avira and SAS. But there isnt squat to be found.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Even in the worst scenario, you can visit your bank site without worry, and without reboot. Just clear the sandbox. Nothing malicious came from the sandboxed session, assuming you cleared it. No rootkits, keyloggers, nothing. No reboot.

FAQ
    Detecting Keyloggers
    Closed File Path
    Closed Key Path

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I can see why some say that AV products ma be history before to long. My browsing speed is actually faster.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One thing you can do to help protect your self with sandboxie is keep any and all private stuff under my documents. Then edit the configuration file and add this line.

ClosedFilePath=%Personal%

with that nothing running in the sandbox can access anything in my documents. I tested it and it works.

Pete

14. ErikAlbert

Pedro,
    First of all, many thanks for the explanation, I'm trying to understand how these software work and I don't have always much time.

Let me see if I get this right.
    If an application is not sandboxed, it can install a certain rootkit.
    If the same application is sandboxed, it cannot install the same rootkit.
    So all depends on whether an application is sandboxed or not, because in both cases the rootkit IS malware and even the SAME malware.

This also means that it all depends on the user, if an application is sandboxed or not and hopefully he knows when an application needs to be sandboxed or not.
    Am I right about this ? :)

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

In GeSWall:
    Defensewall also support confidential files/folders.
    Combine data encryption with a sandbox, a tight firewall ruleset, browser security (NoScript) and common sense/safe hex and you shouldn't suffer data leaks.

16. ErikAlbert

I never get straight answers to my questions. I'm talking about sandboxie alone, not in combination with other softwares. Just sandboxie and put the rest aside. :)

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks, but note that i only copied directly from SandboxIE's site, word for word, minus a few things. Highlighting is also my doing.
    Yes. You should note the quote from lucas regarding GeSWall, and his observation regarding DW. The main difference is virtualization in SandboxIE, everything is redirected to the "sandbox" folder (virtualization container), where the file system and registry is mirrored as it is needed. You then keep what you want, by copying to the real folders.

GeSWall does not redirect things to the "virtualization container, except for some registry keys if i'm not mistaken. It simply enforces a policy, which is strict. DW same deal. I'm sorry for not expanding this, but i haven't used it for a while.

Arguably GW and DW are more "housewife" material :D .

Also note that i don't know how redundant this is when using something like AE. This is an open question in me head.

I do know that when i install an extension in FF (a possible working possible keylogger inside SandboxIE, for illustration purposes), SSM does not intercept it, neither does SandboxIE. But the latter can flush it. Of course, FF does ask for confirmation, on legitimate extensions at least (IE too, probably).

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Also, another possible difference is you can sandbox anything with SandboxIE, and you don't need policies specific for Word, Powerpoint or whatever. It's the same policy for everything inside.
    Again, forgive me for not expanding this. But there has to be someone who can!

19. lucas1985

Well, you can isolate everything in GW. Due to the rigid isolation policy, rules per app (the common ones) are needed if you don't want things breaking:
    GeSWall's Access Control Policy
    Security = layered approach. There's no silver bullet regarding security software.
    A security setup needs to deal with different kind of threats:
    - Network traffic (firewall)
    - E-mail threats (read mail as text, drop unsolicited mail, etc)
    - Execution control/interception (HIPS/whitelist)
    - Browser security/privacy (NoScript, whitelist cookies, etc)
    - Data leaks (firewall/sandbox/etc)
    - Etc
    When the security setup fails (there's no 100 % security, although the margin of failure is very very thin in a well thought security strategy) you go to the mitigation plan (imaging, reboot-to-restore, reinstalling, etc)

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks lucas :thumb:
    Now i recall something. The policy for something unknown is strict, but could break it as SandboxIE can. Then it is less strict for known applications, where they designed the policy specifically for it, where certain things don't need be.

GeSWall deserves a revisit.

21. lucas1985

It's very important to know how the app (Sandboxie, GW, firewall, AE, etc) works in order to use it at its best.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes you are. For example. If I download the kis.msi installer and run in normally it installs KIS. If I run it sandboxed, the install fails and when I delete the sandbox, everything goes away.

So how do I use this not being an expert on malware. Well a little common sense. If I download something from a location I trust, then I just install it. If it's from a location I know I don''t trust, then I better do something to protect myself. ie, the EA reboot-nuke procedure or something similiar.

The value of sandboxie lies in a couple of things. First of all, all the potential junk from browsing is gone without a reboot. Secondly, if a site downloads hidden junk, even if it runs, it can't harm my system. It even can protect the My Documents folder. Another example, suppose I download a video and I am not sure about it. I can run my media player from my desktop, but run it sandboxed. Then anything that video file might try is also sandboxed.

Another aspect is you can create several sandboxes and leave something it for a while, to see if either virus scanners get an updated signature, or you learn something about it. Then you can decide to either move it out of the sandbox or delete it.

Hopefully this helps,

Pete

23. ErikAlbert

Thanks. I will think about it. Seems to me more like a little protection here, a little protection there and a little protection over here. :)

24. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This is a very informative discussion. The vendors in question should pay for the detailed descriptions and exposure their products are getting here!

I friend asked me the other day about Sandbox stuff so I started reading some of the threads and referred them to him, and today, suggested that the next step for him is to evaluate one: until then, it's all talk.

One question came to mind: several have pointed out that a keylogging program or such might be able to send out from within the Sandbox while you are on line transacting business.

The question: under what circumstances do you imagine that a keylogger could get installed on your system?

I would imagine one would have a routine such as I use with Deep Freeze:
    • 1) Reboot to known good state

• 2) Connect to the internet, go directly to online site.

• 3) Log in - transact business

• 4) Log off

regards,

-rich

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It's really helpful to have a thread like this going on at the moment. I have just started with sandboxie myself in the last few days and the learning curve is less steep with the helpful advice that I am reading here.

For instance, I had a hard time grasping the concept of sandboxie the first time I downloaded and ran a setup in it (artweaver). What I didn't realise at the time was that Online Armor would ask permission to run artweaver and keep a record of it in it's program list and history, but it would be nowhere else after deleting the sandbox and contents after deciding I didn't want to keep that software. In my ignorance I assumed NO ONE would see what I was doing but sandboxie.

Now I am a bit more aware that sandboxie does one thing, and HIPS and firewalls etc. do another...and that's how it should be I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.