Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by John Bull, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I care about the few seconds. When someone is busy and needs to be able to open a laptop and get going. Thats when it matters. Its all about performance and functuality. Why should I settle for 4-5 seconds lag time when I can run a virtual program that starts at boot up. I'm a paying user of sandboxie. I expect some sort of support when others are saying that it doens't add any time and mine does.

2. kjdemuth

Thank you franklin. You're a master to your craft. I tried your suggestion and it helped a little bit. I'm going to have to live with it. Thanks for the support, unlike some other folks.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Is it only firefox that has a noticable delay?

Test this then. Start chrome/iron (portable if you like), Firefox and Opera. You get the idea, more than one browsing engine. Do this outside of sandboxie, in typical configuration for yourself.

Next of course, you open them via a 'Force' into sandboxie, again in a typical configuration, or have them all open into the default box. Make sure the presets for each are enabled in sandboxie though.

Now, what do you find?

Now, close them all and open again in sandboxie. Now what do you find? Sometimes subsequent loads are not as slow as initials after booting.

For me, some versions of sandboxie have caused some browsers to slow on the first loading much more than other versions, much like you say in the 5 seconds range. Other versions don't do this.

I have also noticed that sometimes it depends on the browser version or even the engine. If you notice that one browser has that sort of lag and the other(s) don't, maybe it is the browsers fault. If they all exhibit it, then I would try a prior version of sandboxie to see if it fixes the issue.

I have been using Iron more and more when I am not opening lots of tabs. It is instantaneous to open outside the sandbox and I will have to say, loads pages much much much faster than any other browser now, at least where I travel. Forcing it into a sandbox produces perhaps a 1-2 second delay, but that is how sandboxie has always been for me. Yes you can notice it, but a second or two is fine with me considering what is happening.

While Iron opens fast, Firefox,Opera, QTweb and Kmeleon all have more noticable delays. I would have to attribute it to how much more they do, thus how many more resources have to be loaded. I might be wrong about that, but it seems that way to me. Maybe there are some settings you could adjust in sandboxie for add-ons or plug-ins you use in Firefox. I don't know because I don't use any of that stuff normally.

Sul.

4. kjdemuth

Thanks for the info franklin. IE worked well sandboxed or not. Didn't matter it opened pretty fast. Chrome had a small delay after being forced. It was faster without being sandboxed. Must be something to do with Firefox. Oh well. Its still only a 2 second delay longer. I even tried disabling all my addons and other security. I'll have to deal with. 2 seconds isn't that bad. Takes longer for me to take a sip of coffee. I appreciate you and franklins support. You both have been wonderful about answering sandboxie questions. I usually hang around AV and AM because I'm not comfortbale giving advice out over there. Thanks again.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

kjdemuth, I don't know if you saw this thread at Sandboxie forum, it will
    help you make your start up a couple of seconds faster. Just do a clean
    install of Sandboxie 3.46 and your start up should be better.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8313

Bo

6. waters

waters Registered Member

I changed to Chrome because of Firefox slow start time

7. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Chrome is like a car with three wheels compared to Firefox.

John B

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you say so! :)

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

That is funny.

Used to be IE felt like the Model T, Firefox felt a Winnebago, Opera/Kemeleon/Chrome felt like a sports car.

Now it feels like IE is an illegal sports car from a chop shop that you just don't know if you can trust, Firefox, well, it still feels like a Winnebago, Kmeleon feels like a sports car, Opera feels more like a NasCar and Chrome/Iron feels like an F1.

Sandboxie feels like it has tuned thier carbs so that they have a sputter off the line, but then each travels according to its own speed.

Sul.

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Possible Method to Bypass Sandboxie:

Do you ever surf the internet without Sandboxie for any reason?

Your router is not protected by Sandboxie and it is possible for malware to reside in the router memory.

It's possible for malware to modify in memory contents and not touch the disk.

Malware residing in the router memory infects the browser during a non-sandboxed browsing session. Subsequent use of the browser in Sandboxie carry over infection from non-sandboxed surfing. Malware is now Sandboxed as well.
    Reboot or power plug removal of the computer clears the resident infection, but not the routers issue.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whenever I have to run a browser without sandboxie, I run it at lower rights. Also at night I shutdown computer, router, everything, it's all cleared.

12. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

Could you put the link to the description of a malware able to reside in the memory of a router?

It would be better if you only link to trusted av vendors.

13. John Bull

IMPORTANT

If this point is true, then it conflicts with what some very knowledgeable posters have already said. To my mind, this statement needs qualifying under the meticulous microscope of our more advanced members in order to justify the overwhelming ovation of confidence given to Sandboxie in previous posts here and elsewhere.

Just bear in mind that tens of millions of users do not use Sandboxie and an incredible number of these have never even heard of it, including me a few months ago. It is only on Forum`s like this that Sandboxie is an everyday expression. In my entire life circle of Homo Sapiens, if I said "Sandboxie" they would think it is some new plastic toy for kiddywinkles to play with.

Absolute perfection is a practical impossibility. Even in Heaven, Halo`s get dusty.

John B

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  14. bo elam

Great way of putting things Sully, I love it. I keep the Winnebago for
    everyday use and use the illegal sports car for Windows updates only.
    Bo

15. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What is the recommended way to do a clean install?

I just did one of my two PC's. I uninstalled and chose "Not" to keep my INI file. After a restart, I installed Sandboxie 3.46. After that, it took a ~20 minutes to rebuild/configure my Sandboxes.

On my other PC would keeping my INI file during the uninstall still give me the updated Registry entry and keep my Sandboxes?

Thanks in Advance.

16. John Bull

This thread is about Sandboxie and is a superb collection of posts. It has left the track.

We must not get off topic discussing jalopies or enter into the Great Browser debate, otherwise Big Brother will put these posts in the slammer. Chrome ? A big engine, 4 wheels and a steering wheel - NOTHING but a drag racer. I like millions of others need a bit more sophistication and advanced technology rather than just speed.

But each to his own poison, enjoy your Chrome dragster, I`ll enjoy my FF limousine.

John B

17. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I don't think what I said conflicts at all with what tzuk has said about his tool.
    Sandboxie doesn't validate the FireFox process. It assumes it is O.K.

Metasploit is a penetration tool that can load it's tools into memory and never touch the disk. It has tools for attacking Windows mainly, but has tools for attacking Linux and Mac.
    How hard would it be to use the Metasploit tools to attack the router, which a very large percentage are Linux?
    I'm sure it's not a simple task, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    The malware would reside in the RAM of the router. And as long as the router is never rebooted it can be used to pivot and attack any system on the network.
    http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/

@Buster_BSA
    I hope these links are useful. Network Device attacks are making the news more often. Router Bluepill; psyb0t; Chuck Norris Botnet; Zlob DNS changer.
    Sophos Blog on Chuck Norris Botnet
    Bitdefender Forum posting of someone with a router infection
    BillPStudios malware-attacking-your-router
    http://www.muni.cz/events/calendar/4323
    http://www.dronebl.org/blog/8

Of course, I am just speculating out loud. Why should I keep all of these ideas to myself?

18. John Bull

Hi Searching.

"Of course, I am just speculating out loud. Why should I keep all of these ideas to myself ?"

Absolutely no reason at all, we all love to hear them, that is what a Forum is for. I assume you also love to hear ours.

John B

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I did that once.
    Now I keep the INI file then do a clean install.
    Results are the same with much less work.
    Hugger

20. bo elam

TheKid7, I think you should be getting the change when you uninstall and chose
    to keep the settings, if you are not then uninstall and remove the configurations
    and see what happens. To me, the latter option is a clean install.
    I personally just did a over the top installation of 3.4.6 but if start up time was
    very important to me, I would do the uninstall keeping the settings and reinstall.

Bo

21. John Bull

This is a challenge to Wilders geeks.
    Sandboxie plagues us with Nagware with the free issue. I have no problem in the principle of this, Tzuk has to make money out of his brilliant creation.

But for personal reasons I cannot pay the fee, so have to accept his extreme generosity.

The Nagware screen is a persistent pain. Can anybody tell me how to tweak the Sandboxie hubble bubble to get rid of it ?

John B

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I suspect this forum is not in favour of such activity.

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

We're not. Give the application programmer his due. If circumstances are such that purchase is not in the cards, an infrequent nag screen is a very minimal price and should be graciously paid.

Blue

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Like I said earlier in this thread to someone else, patience is a small price to pay for such superior protection.

Acadia

25. John Bull

Fair enough, I fully accept these after-post comments. I myself supported this viewpoint in an earlier post on this very thread, I just thought it would be possible to stop the pop-up.
    Wrong thinking - sorry for raising the question. Tzuk deserves everything he can get and a Nag screen is a small and embarrassing price to pay for free use of this superb program.

Thanks - I meant no harm, just being inquisitive for personal technical reasons.
    John Bull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.