Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ChrisP, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Ok I installed this today. How can I tell its working properly in IE and FF?

2. Dieselman

Cool trick for deleting temp files in Sandboxie. Just add Sandboxie to your CCleaner custom folders and presto. All files gone. :rolleyes:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The # sign up in the window title tells you that you are Sandboxed, and if you specified, then which sandbox you are using.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Welcome to the New World of pure sandboxing SandboxIE style along with all it's bonus features thrown in for good measure. I feel like coming off from the high of FD-ISR only to soar again with the like of this SandboxIE, a very welcome addition to any setup.

5. Dieselman

I am using version 3.22. But the only way to start FF sandboxed is to pay for the full version. It only works if I right click on FF and start Sandboxed. It seems like a good app just runs alot of processes.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If it can be of any consolation (comfort) for you, it would be one the best purchases a user could possibly make to add that assured layer of protection. Also the developer goes well out of his way to pamper both his creation and user's satisfaction of what they expect.

On the matter of running processes, i just don't see it. I run a very enemic 1.5 GHz w/ pitiful 512MB of ram chalked full of not only security apps x 4 but even more XP customization add-ons a normal user wouldn't dare bother with. In fact my XP is a mirror of Vista in disguise with all those additional enhancements that i run, and yet theres no impact on performance or any other problems. No delays, hesitations, or otherwise. Of course i regularly Defrag and even wipe deleted files as a basic routine just to keep the disk free of possible obstructions that could make for slowdowns. It's a vigilence needed taken seriously to keep your PC at full optimum levels.

What i do read over and over again is the repeated complaints over FF, so if anything IMO, FF is likely a main culprit in disappointing functioning with no only SandboxIE but plenty of other apps. I stick with IE6 or Opera and no matter what security app i join to them, browsing & boot ups continue as normal all the time.

Regards EASTER

ps: Sometimes i wonder if FF really isn't somewhat overrated with the many complaints that fill the boards more often then not.

7. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

I agree, EASTER. I have read somewhere recently, that Fire Fox ver 2 has a funny habit of becoming bloated the longer you browse with it. OTOH I use Fire Fox for going to secure sites for paying online bills. For some reason with our satellite internet, the FF is quite a bit faster than the IE7 I run.

Vista best upgrade would be XP Pro with SP3 (when released). Nothing wrong with XP. I'm here aren't I?? LOL

8. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I found out what my problem was with shutdown and Sandboxie. I found a forum where you can post mini dumps. I was having a problem with devldr32.exe . Has something to do with Sound Blaster Live sound card. I bought another Sound Card and now all seems well. I have Sandboxie loaded and my system shuts down fine. No more crashes.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Dieselman,

You should be able to setup an icon to start Firefox sandboxed. In the free version, you can run multiple apps. in the same sandbox. I do this all the time. Because it's the free version, only one sandbox can run at a time which means if you setup a rule for only one app to access the net, another app. started in the same box won't connect.

To setup a new icon, open Sandboxie Control and click Configure - Shell Integration and click the 'Add Shortcut Icons' button.

innerpeace

10. Dieselman

How do I force Firefox to always open up Sandboxed? I tried the force settings and when I double click my desktop icon it still open Firefox normally.

11. Dieselman

Forget it I got it.

12. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I tried this, adding "C:\Sandbox" to the custom folder option, there seemed to be a great deal of cleaning going on, I run Ccleaner as secure delete. But once finished when I selected delete contents from the sandboxie menu it told me there were still contents to delete.

13. Dieselman

Should be C\Sandboxie\yourname.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

seems to me bit redundant for web and mail.

for other purposes like testing installs in SBIE and maintaining, its maybe usefull.

15. arran

arran Registered Member

by making sure that firefox is your "default browser" and by clicking the
    sandboxed webrowser icon on your desktop.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7915/21279084bh2.jpg

then firefox should start up sandboxed. if you have problems in setting firefox to default browser, just download default browser1.6 from here.
    http://www.10001downloads.com/index.php?id_programa=14967

16. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Ok thanx, tried that, though not sure why it would make a difference, anyways, after running Ccleaner if you rt click sandboxie option and choose delete contents it tells you there are still all the files and folders there.

17. Dieselman

Did you click advanced option in CCleaner and make CCleaner use custom folders?

Open up CCleaner. Click on options. Click on the Include tab. Add the directory there(C\Sandboxie\name). Make sure you can click ok. Then click the Cleaner tab and under the advanced section down at the bottom check of custom files and folders. Worked like a charm for me.

18. arran

arran Registered Member

I can't work out why you guys bother with setting it up in ccleaner when all you need to do is select the auto delete feature?

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3353/sandboxyr5.jpg

that way when you close your browser or exit sandbox all the contents is automatically deleted.

19. Dieselman

Why do that when you may need to recover things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.