Sandboxie ??

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by JerryM, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sandboxie has been recommended as an application that makes surfing safe. I do not do risky surfing, but in looking at the site, it appears that it might slow down surfing.

I had read in the past that some firewall used a sandbox, and there seemed to be problems associated with it.

Would you please give me the pros and cons of Sandboxie, and do you use it?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't use sandboxie but by their nature sandbox programs will to different degrees slow down computer use.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess my own logic asks, "If it is so good/safe, why isn't everyone using it?"

Jerry

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

:thumb: :thumb: my thoughts also.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

JerryM,
    FDISR allows you to "freeze" your active snapshot = partition [C:], which means that ANY CHANGE will be REMOVED during the next reboot, just like ShadowUser does.
    This is just ONE of the many possibilities of FDISR, while ShadowUser doesn't do anything more than that and ShadowUser costs as much as FDISR.

Rebooting with a clean snapshot (= normal reboot) OR running all your scanners, which don't remove always everything.
    The choice is up to you.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Erik, my problem is that I know so little that I do not understand what you have told me.

Jerry

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In that case stick to your actual security setup and visit the FirstDefense-ISR Forum at Wilders, where you will find informative links about this software in the sticky posts and you can ask questions there of course.
    This is a learning process, take all the time you need and FD-ISR has a full-operating trial version of course to try it for real.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Erik.
    Jerry

9. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I've used Sandboxie multiple times with known malware, and I've never seen it fail to contain it.

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Jerry M, Sandboxie is a small download compared to an AV or Antispy yet IMHO offers better protection.

There are no slowdowns on my system at all.

Back in January there was a zero day exploit with over 100 variants which Sandboxie protected against while most AVs couldn't until their sigantures were updated.

Every app is a learning process and whilst learning the ins and outs you can contact the author at the Sandboxie forum for help and or suggestions.

It is still wise to have a decent backup system such as images or some of the others mentioned in this forum.

You can still run your other security apps realtime but I just use then as on demand.

Lean,mean and clean.:)

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use Sandboxie, works great and no slow down at all :cool:

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I appreciate the replies.
    What are the downsides to Sandboxie? Is it compatible with all common applications, and has anyone had their system crash as a result of its use?

Thanks,
    Jerry

13. Franklin

As with most apps some users do have probs as can be seen over at Sandboxies forum.

Your firewall may throw up initial warnings at first but once allowed it's smooth sailing.Or should I say it was for me.:)

I would say that the majority users have no probs.

It's like when I first tried FF way back.Didn't think much of it but now it's a different story.

Sandboxie is a one man band and the author is a decent sort of fella in willing to try and reproduce any probs by users and fix them.

14. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Thats silly logic..

I have used Sandboxie for nearly 3 years, and it has never failed me.. I use it to open Malware up for diagnosis, and have probably opened in the area of 5,000 threats inside it. It never once failed to contain something.

I use Sandboxie 100% for browsing, and it has ZERO impact on browsing speed. I can install hundreds, if not thousands of toolbars and spyware while browsing, and with a single "Click" its gone when I am done with a session.

Sandboxie is probably the best piece of freeware out there for security. I liked it so much, I offered to buy the rights to the product and take it commerical. But the guy that programs it refuses to compromise the FREE nature of it.

The product JUST WORKS.. Period.. What more can anyone ask for?

15. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Interesting point, and valid. One could simply just run their browsers in Sandboxie, and forget about all of these fancy HTTP, and On-Access scanners. Much less browser lockdowns and all of the other nonsense. Then just on-demand scan anything downloaded outside of the sandbox on a case by case basis.

Sandboxie offers 0-day exploit and threat protection for the primary inlet of threats on most peoples machines. What more can you ask for?

16. Franklin

Usually before taking anything out of the sandbox ,if dubious ,is uploaded to Jottis or Virus Total.

Just a tip if using Ccleaner .:)

I have added "C:\Documents and Settings\"USERNAME"\Application Data\Sandbox" to Ccleaners custom folders cleaning which can now do a secure deletion.

1,3 or 7 passes.

Or if you want to keep regdata and pstore use this -

"C:\Documents and Settings\"USERNAME"\Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Device'

17. Franklin

I'm glad he knocked your offer back.LOL:D

18. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Another tip with Sandboxie.. Exclude the sandboxed folders from your on-access Antivirus. I found it can "Confuse" some AVs, and worse, some AV's move stuff OUT of the sandbox into quarantine or recycle bin. Which IMO is a bad thing, since it is much safer in the sandbox.

Antivir seems to hate scanning stuff in the Sandbox, it resulted in some CPU spikes, and file lockdowns that were annoying. Excluded, it is fine now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.