Sandboxie -- Who has stopped using it and why?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Frank the Perv, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm kind of surprised seeing people claim they notice it slows down their browsing. I even saw one person say it caused more slowdown than their real-time AV did.

Heck, I think my browser actually runs a hair snappier sandboxed than it does outside of it. Possibly because of the isolation... nothing else is leeching onto it (or trying to). It does add 2 seconds to the boot time of my programs. I get those back, and then some by forgoing real-time scanning. Plus it's much easier on my HD.

I'm running XP Pro SP3. Perhaps it runs differently on Vista/7?

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

In my early days of using SBIE, one version was very slow to load the browser, and while browsing the "speed bump" was also noticable. I think the next version had the same effect, but the version after that was really good. I haven't had that issue since.

I think there is a few extra seconds to get a browser up and running when it is sandboxed, but if everything is working as it should, you don't notice it after the initial browser load.

Sul.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ive uninstalled sandboxie rather reluctantly because firefox kept freezing all the time.im using online armor and avast and i narrowed it down to sandboxie.when uninstalled browsing returned to normal.perhaps my setting were wrong i dont know.
    Any ideas how to configure sandboxie to run right.?:cautious: :ninja:

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You are using two programs, Avast and On line Armor, that have had conflicts with SBIE lately. It is likely that's why you are having problems. I think the situation with Avast is fixed now, my guess is that the problem is with On line Armors Run safer feature.

Bo

5. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

I've removed it from my machines in favour of AppGuard. I used Sandboxie mainly for web browsing. The two of them don't play nice together and I haven't been bothered to do the workaround.

If I ever get rid of AppGuard, Sandboxie will be re-installed.

For a while I just ran Sandboxie with on demand scanners and it was great.

I think it's an ace bit of kit.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey, Bo knows!
    Known conflict with OA and Chrome and SBIE together. I took OA out of the mix and it all got better. I'd rather say goodbye to OA then to SBIE.
    Not hard to imagine OA conflicting with SBIE and FF on some setups.

7. The Red Moon

Known conflict?
    Any info on this please.?:ninja:

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Page:cool: , if I ever have to say goodbye to SBIE, my stress level when using my computers would go up from about 1 to 9. No joke.

Bo

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You'd have to search the OA forum, B. The threads are there, notating conflicts with SBIE, Chrome, FF and OA. Emsisoft employees have acknowledged the issue.
    Have you tried excluding FF from OA? It's not a long term remedy (because I don't think it's advisable to to exclude one's browser from FW coverage), but it would tell you if there was a conflict with OA, right?

10. The Red Moon

Ive tried everything and to no avail.ive gone back to reliable comodo.:ninja:

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

SB has been one of the finest security Apps ever made. :thumb:

I'm grateful that SB offers a truly Freeware version;
    a version that is Not bundled with AD/Crap-ware
    (unlike other Vendors/Developers...:mad:)

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

@Beethoven1770 the conflicts between SBIE and OA are well documented and almost perpetual. The former developer told me a few years back that it was because the techniques used to protect the browser were similar.

I would drop anything that conflicts with SBIE rather than the other way about but each to their own.

One thought though. There are numerous apps that do essentially the same thing as OA, I see your currently using one that actually works very well with SBIE, but nothing out there that does what SBIE does.

13. The Red Moon

I must admit ive never been aware of this conflict situation before until now.its strange because ive used this combo before without issues.its a shame i had to uninstall OA as i like the program.there does not seem to be a viable alternative to SBIE.I was toying with the idea of trying geswall but i dont know how that works.
    Comodo does a fine job for what it offers and its very light.dont know how the comodo AV compares to avast.
    Regards.:thumb: :ninja:

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

If you tried excluding FF from OA and the behavior still prevailed, then I'd say you effectively eliminated OA as the source of the problem. o_O

15. The Red Moon

ive imaged online armor and avast.i may try again one day when the problem has been resolved.
    Im using comodo for now.
    But from what i understand support for the free version of OA is going to be halted in the near future.:ninja:

16. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

That's not correct. Support for OA++ version is going to be halted in the near future.

17. The Red Moon

Thanks for that info.Im glad OA free will continue.Its an excellent piece of software but its with great sadness that i cannot get it to run with sandboxie at this moment in time.:thumb: :ninja:

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've been running SBIE, Appguard and OA with no issues. THis is with 32bit, and no AV's running.

Pete

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

With what browser, Pete?
    The OA/SBIE issue seems to manifest itself in the browser.
    For me, Chrome would not work all of a sudden, which caused me to have to exclude it from OA. That identified for me that it was OA that was having the problem, and not wanting to give up SBIE, it was an easy decision for me to adios OA. I migrated to Comodo FW and have been very satisfied with it.
    Beethoven1770 mentions SBIE, OA and FF. I have seen others report issues with those three in tandem. I was hoping Beethoven1770 would report back what results were with FF excluded in OA, so we could see if there is still a correlation.
    So far I have not seen reports of this conflict between SBIE and OA in conjunction with IE.

20. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It's a must for me as well. I have a lifetime license and will not stop using it unless development is dropped so it won't support the OS I am using or something like that.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I use OA with Sbie and Opera on XP.. no problems.

I also use OA with Sbie and IE9 on Win 7 64 bit with no problems.

Sbie is one of my 'must have' apps.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I believe OA and EAM will be merged and developed into a single Internet Security software. OA then would no longer be available as a product but only EAM and a single internet security product.

Anyways, I'm running OA and sbie here. No problems so far. :)

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Amit,
    The issue with OA, SBIE and Chrome, as documented on the OA forum by an Emsisoft employee, involves 64-bit W7. And that is exactly how it played out for me on my machines... XP did not have the problem. :)

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah that's absolutely nice to hear my friend. I totally enjoy my two favorites.:)

25. The Red Moon

Ive heard nothing about that.Although emsisioft does have the internet security pack right now.There are a substantial amount of OA free users in the world and to stop supporting it would certainly be detrimental to emsisoft as there are potential subscribers here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.