Sandboxie vs Geswall vs Bufferzone

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Drew99GT, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

For sandboxes: Sandboxie, GesWall and DefenceWall, try and see which one you like.

Other virtualizations: ShadowUser ans ShadowSurfer, PowerShadow, Returnil etc

Virtual OS: VirtualBox, VMware, Virtual PC.

A lot of fun stuff!

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

So does Geswall have outbound protection?

Sorry for the barrage of questions; I need to make a new updated disk image and just try the sucker!

4. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

Absolutely not, GeSWall is a firewall between untrusted apps and ressources of your system

MaB

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I read some threads on the Sandboxie forum stating that even if you get malware on your machine inside the sandbox, it can still do damage like log keystrokes etc. UNTIL you delete the sandbox. Will Geswall protect against this issueo_O

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GW stops keyloggers mostly.

7. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Sandboxie works as a Firewall?

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Sorry to bring back to life an old thread, but I'm trying GesWall right now and have some questions.

With Sandboxie you can empty the sandbox. In GesWall I don't see such an option. How do I do that?

Thanks

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I may be wrong about this, but they are different in how they work. Sandboxie has some virtualization and GesWall is a policy based sandbox. GesWall goes by a set of rules that says what your browser can and cannot do.

Here's a little more information on sandboxing apps.
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Different_classes_of_security_software#Sandboxing:-

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, SBIE virtualizes both registry and files.

GW virtualizes registry and the virtual reg is auto-deleted once u clse an isolated application in GW. U don,t ned to take any action/
    GW doesn,t virtualize files, files are created as normally but they are marked with a small G icon and are under strict control by GW( marked as isolated)- GW,s policy control. They are allowed to run but are not allowed to damage the system in anyway. Also GW restricts ceation of files in critical system areas. It gives u a good balance of security and usability most of time.

If u get a malware with GW, sure it will be on ur HD but isolated( under strict control) by GW and will not be able to damage ur system. It can be picked up by ur AV/ AS etc anytime and deleted. It can be deleted when u empty ur browser cache( if it,s in the cache). For manual deletion u can do a manual scan in GW console and delet files manually. Butt don,e delete the files of ur browsers that are needed by ur browser as they are alos marked isolated by GW.

Attached Files:

11. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi aigle

Thanks for the explanation. Sandboxing/Virtualization is a new approach for me and I'm learning a lot (or trying to learn)...

Those screenshots are from the paid version or not? Because I checked the console and there is no "untrusted" label....

Thanks

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have the Pro version. Not sure about the free one.

A good sandbox is the best defence for zero day threats. Install and forget. No popups, no hassle. Very very strong against malware.

I have thrown a lot of malware against GW and has never seens anyone breaking through it.

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I believe that is only available in 2.7 beta version.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh yes! I forgot it completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.