SandboxIE vs Avast Sandbox

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I realize this is an A vs B type situation, however I am not pitting antiviruses against each other. Im comparing similar features and their effectiveness.

Im getting bored again with my security setup on my laptop. My goal is light weight security. Im contemplating ditching Avast all together and using HMP as an on demand scanner for items I want to recover from the sandbox. I know SandboxIE is not as strong on x64 systems (which I happen to be running).

What is the more robust sandboxing option? Should I leave things the way they are or should I switch it up?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can enable 64bit specific enhancements for Sandboxie. They scare ppl about potential problems but to date i haven't seen any.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I dont think you will find an AV lighter than avast with the exception of WSA.

4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

WSA has a sandbox as well, an increasingly common feature of security suites.

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Sandboxie and WSA. Can't get much lighter. If you don't feel secure enough with WSA detection, just run HMP every morning. I currently have WSA, sandboxie and OA running. I would stick with sandboxie whitedragon. Like Rejzor said the 64 bit is very secure with the enhancements. I haven't noticed many issues while lurking around sandboxie forum's. You could also give CIS and wsa a try.

6. whitedragon551

Not interested in running a security suite. I am keeping LnS firewall around. I was just interested in comparing the effectiveness of the 2.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. Ok. I would totally pick sandboxie over Avast's sandbox. Mostly because you can configure sandboxie as minuet as possible. Multiple sandboxes that can all be set up differently. That's kind of a no brain-er, as far as I'm concerned. Here is a run down of the experimental protection, if you already haven't seen it. http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ExperimentalProtection

8. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yes you will: MSE and Bitdefender Free

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

MSE is not by any chance even virtually close to avast! in performance. And as far as i was trying BD Free, they are equal at best or worst.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

When i used avast free it always ran around the 5-6mb mark and MSE was always heavier as i can recall although it has been a while since i used it.

Dont know about bitdefender as never tried it.

11. whitedragon551

Not willing to switch from Avast to MSE. MSE is horrible in real world experience. Every system Ive ever used that has had MSE installed on has been infected in a home and small business environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.