Sandboxie v2.86

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ErikAlbert, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Correction... PowerShadow does not use/change the MBR.

I am 100% sure that PowerShadow (2.6 & 2.8.2) did not change my MBR... I use BootMagic (8.0) and that menu did not change.

Here is the XP/W2K boot process...
    1) BIOS loads MBR
    2) MBR starts %SystemDrive%\ntldr
    3) ntldr reads %SystemDrive%\boot.ini and puts up the boot menu
    4) selecting a XP/W2K choice from menu causes ntldr to run %SystemDrive%\ntdetect.com to get hardware info
    5) ntldr then loads %SystemRoot%system32\ntoskrnl.exe and %SystemRoot%system32\hal.dll

Of those five critical XP/W2K startup files, only boot.ini changed:

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="microsoft windows xp professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    [COLOR="Red"]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Single shadow mode for microsoft windows xp professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect [b]/SHADOWSYSTEM[/b][/COLOR]
    PowerShadow added a 2nd boot choice with the "/SHADOWSYSTEM" parameter.

After searching all files on my C: drive, the entire registry, and all of the Internet, I have no idea how that additional parameter is passed to whatever program... I am assuming the ShadowService is probably called. (Update: yes, the word "SHADOWSYSTEM" is in ShadowService.exe)

Side note: FD-ISR v3.20 Build 202, "Pre-boot code moved from the Master Boot Record to the Partition Boot Record."

Mike

UPDATE: PS version 2.8.2 also does NOT does not use/change the MBR.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It was version 2.6 the trial. I did post about it in the leapfrog forum, as I did the test in context of FDISR

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

4. besafe

besafe Registered Member

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

6. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Love Sandboxie. It's a great application.

I seem to be the only one here who had problems with PS. It didn't work well for me. I think it was down to a conflict with another program I was running at the time. Tried it twice and had issues both times.

Sandboxie is versatile, light as a feather and has never let me down. It's a real gem; I rarely surf without it and it will be on my box for a long while yet.

:) :) :)

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

:thumb: Been using Sandboxie since version 2.64, in fact still using 2.64 as it works great and have read some problems with newer versions. I think it's a great application, has caused me no problems whatsoever.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Sandboxie here +++ :thumb:

So light
    so configureable
    Do what YOU want when YOU want to. STill own your own box.
    Support good

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I can also verify that flinchlock is correct since i'm testing Rollback Rx 8 right now with Power Shadow and experiencing no conflicts or otherwise similar issues of concern.

10. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

That is good to hear.

I just suspected that they were both using the MBR. I have not tested it and I should not have commented as I have not used Power Shadow because it will not support RAID. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Silver

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Something conflited with PowerShadow when I tried it a little while ago.
    Always thought it was Rollback Rx,as that was posted by someone here.
    Tring Sandboxie now,so far so good.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I still keep Sandboxie 2.64 installer handy for use on another different configuration if i choose to use it but due to difficulties i had with Sandboxie i found Power Shadow more than makes up for that.

I used to think it odd but not anymore, what one program works great for some users, others will have nothing but issues. That's just the nature of particular software in combo with others plus the system itself.

Snoopfree for one example. No matter what i always experienced a BSOD because of snoopfree's driver conflicting with one of my programs. It might even be something as little considered as a registry scanner or a windows GUI customizing app. I tried over a stretch of several versions to no avail.
    I was going to buy it for keylogging protection since it was so highly popular and regarded but it just would not run right.

After seeing a lot of siggys with snoopfree and their recommending it, again i went to try it. By this time it had gone "freeware" too. Finally, the program (driver) actually worked without any issues at all and i still use it to this very day and haven't experinced a single problem even when i was piling on the HIPS and other security apps & monitors.

Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.