Sandboxie users...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by UsuallyConfused, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UsuallyConfused

UsuallyConfused Registered Member

I got sandboxie a couple of days ago, and it seems to be installed and working correctly, but I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how to use this thing? Can anyone explain to me how to configure this beast? The only help files or instructions I can find only discuss how to use it AFTER it's correctly configured. I've posted on the Sandboxie forum and am not getting any helpful answers. For example, if I download &/or install something (using my virtual Opera) it goes straight to the "real" files, not "virtual" ones. Do I need to create a file somewhere before downloading or something? Is this what the Windows Installer is for? What is the Top-level folder for? I can't set it properly if I don't know what it is...
    The only thing this program seems to be "containing" are the browser settings, any other action goes straight to the real files. How do I download/install "virtually"? Obviously I'm missing some crucial things here. If noone can explain the basic set-up process, can someone recommend a different program that has instructions?

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Well maybe Opera isn't sandboxed? Right click the tray icon, and if Opera's your default, hit Run Sandboxed >> Default Browser. If not, hit Any Program and browse for Opera. This should ensure it's running sandboxed and EVERYTHING you do with it will be sandboxed.

BTW, a sandboxed program has [#] around each side of its title in the title bar, for identification.

3. UsuallyConfused

Yes, its SB'ed. (The # symbols are there and if I change browser settings they don't appear in the non-SB'ed Opera.) Anything already installed on my comp. can be run in the sandbox just fine. However anything downloaded (w/ or w/o installing) thru it ends up in regular files.

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I'm not really sure what to do...reinstall it?

Opera doesn't play too well with Sandboxie, as far as I've tried. Opera and Sandboxie aren't a nice combo. Try it with Firefox and if that works fine then it must be Opera.

5. UsuallyConfused

Okay, problem solved. It was a problem in the configuration page, apparently. Someone on the SB forum was kind enough to post back and forth and walk me thru the whole dang thing (I'm still not quite sure why it works now, to tell you the truth, but I'm not questioning it.) Either way it's installing where it should now. Yay! This program really could use some instructions, IMO.
    It works fine with my Opera, by the way, that was never an issue for me. I understand its fairly quirky in that respect, though, works for some and not for others. Then again with all of the trouble I've had getting the set-up right, I am fully prepared to believe that some of the "quirkiness" is probably just incorrect config. a lot of the time, rather than actual browser conflicts. Who knows?

Thanks anyway.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

7. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Franklin thanks for your informative post!

LOL, I guess the fourth point is why I couldn't get that to work!!!! Almost tore my hair out....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Well, leaves us quite dangling here what was the original problem and how it was solved o_O
    Myself, I use only Firefox, so cannot comment what could have been wrong in your case.

That should be for betatesting, http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=7

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.